Suggestions on Wabash Style Depot HO

I am thinking about doing a layout based on a town in Missouri and would like to have a Wabash Style HO Depot. Are there any kits for such a thing?

Dave

Reply to
Scottishmoney

Bronze Key Models used to sell a built-up , unpainted resin model, and later a resin kit for a Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific (Wabash predecessor) station. I don't think it's made any more. I think that it may have been the only HO piece BKM offered, as the rest of its line was O scale traction.

I came across one of them at a hobby shop in Columbus, Ohio a few years back, but that's the only place I ever saw one.

-fm Webmaster, Operations Road Show - Wabash Edition

The address in the header of this message is deliberately bogus to foil address-harvesters. See my web sites for my real address.

Reply to
Fritz Milhaupt

You may have to scratch build, or at least kit-bash. Have you looked at

?

Reply to
Steve Caple

I have a link for a Wabash Railroad Historical Society that might also interest you:

My hope is to one day have a good model of a P class Hudson - the ones that were converted in the Decatur shops in 1943 from old 3-cylinder Mikados to give the Wabash more passenger (or troop train?) motive power. I rode behind one from Decatur to Peru at least once that I know of - we walked down the platform from ahead of the train, and I was impressed by the big blue "elephant ears" smoke deflectors and the partial shrouding that looked different from other engines I'd formed some vague idea of.

I do miss the dopplered sound of crossing bells . . .

Reply to
Steve Caple

: Check out the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society's : restoration of NKP Berkshire #765: : :

: A heart-warming tale, for me: I remember when it was a : rusting static display in a small park just north of downtown : Fort Wayne. : : : -- : Steve Caple : : "It's good, though"

Thanks much for the memories and the referral to 765 Steve. I grew up in Ft. Wayne and recall seeing 765 rusting away in that small park. Sure is good to see how well they are rebuilding her now.

Reply to
KTØT

Dave

I have a web site with over 230 Missouri Railroad Depot photographs in it. When I photographed them, I tried to do it in a way that would help modelers.

18 of them so far are wabash. I'll have a Rail Line listing out on the page in a few days, week at the most. The web site is at;

If your >I am thinking about doing a layout based on a town in Missouri and would

My e-mail address is real. Feel free to use it. I know how to delete spam.

Reply to
Jack Forbes

My Great Grandmother worked for the Wabash as a cook for about 40 years from the 1920's until sometime in the 1960's. She had many interesting tales of her travels on the trains. I think of her often when I am working on my trainset. Yesterday after a long search I finally found a dining car. Now my set is complete:)! My grandmother managed to save some interesting memorabilia, but for me the most interesting was the caboose lights. I think the Bluebirds were some of the more attractive locomotive paint schemes of all, I also like the blue trainsets that the Wabash had, of course the family connection is the most important.

Dave

Reply to
Scottishmoney

The book "Wabash" by Donald Heimburger has a chapter on Wabash stations with small photos of 42 different depots. Several (Edon OH, Effingham IL, Fairmount IL, Pattonsburg MO, etc) seem vary similar to the Standard C&O #3 Small Station laser kit (MD-9-010) now offered by the C&OHS at

The C&O and these Wabash stations all have board and batten siding above a "belt rail" and diagonal tongue and groove siding below, a small 3 sided telegraphers bay under a small additional peaked dormer roof., wooden gingerbread under the end and telegraphers roof ends, etc. The Wabash depots listed above may be longer, but that could be done by combining two kits. From the photos, each Wabash depot seemed to have a different style of roof end gingerbread, but few seem to have the more complicated curved members of the C&O depot. Just a thought, and maybe some more income for my HS. GQ

Reply to
Geezer

What sort of card: heavy weights? I'd be interested in anyone's list of good cars for a steam-era Bluebird set. Do you have one of those nice Bluebird drumheads on the observation car? If steam, does your set include a locomotive?

I have an NKP Adlake lantern from Pop Caple, missing the lens (one, 5.25", color unknown - I'd guess red), converted from kerosene to electric, embossed with "NYC&StL [Ry Co? something like that - it's out in the garage]", has the slot on the back for hanging on a bracket.

Do you mean the steam Bluebirds? Have you found a good match for that blue?

Reply to
Steve Caple

I purchased the IHC 4-6-2 Pacific Bluebird several years ago, it was not easy to find. I had seen one in a store in Detroit several years ago, after a long search and it turned out to be broken so I did not buy it. But I did get the Rivarossi / AHM B Set of cars some years ago, and the A set just this last week(I could always find parts of the set but not the whole one). So I spent this morning converting the couplers from the ###### stock ones to Kadee 505's. I kind of wish I could find an HO scale P-1 4-6-4, but I am happy just having the 4-6-2.

As for availability, I believe the IHC 4-6-2 is not yet out of production, however the Rivarossi cars may be out of production as they are no longer available on many of the websites I have looked at.

Dave

Reply to
Scottishmoney