Thomas the Tank Engine Water Tower Steam Set - No Smoke

Hi,
We just bought a Thomas the Tank Engine Water Tower Steam Set. The train runs great, but Thomas doesn't blow smoke. There's no battery in
Thomas, so I'm wondering what makes it work. The filter is in properly and there's plenty of water in Thomas. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how doe we fix it?
Thanks,
Dale

I was under the impression that Thomas was battery powered in this set. Does Thomas whistle and the light operate? Does the train run ok? I don't have a solution, but you might find something in one of the Thomas Yahoo! Groups:
Description of the set and some comments by purchasers:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I hope you find a solution to the problem.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Model Railroad Books, Toys, and Trains: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Resources--Links to 1,200 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links