tortoise switch

On 3/19/2008 11:14 AM Carter Braxton spake thus:

OK, check this out. Here's a design for what I *think* you asked for (probably not, but anyway). Here's what the control panels would look like:
http://www.geocities.com/bonezphoto/misc/2locationSwitch.gif
And here's the circuit for the thing:
http://www.geocities.com/bonezphoto/misc/2locationSwitchCircuit.gif
So here's how this would all work: There would be 2 separate control boxes, each near the switch machine it controls. Both switch motors are wired together, so pushing either button activates both Tortoises.
Both direction switches would switch the direction for *both* controllers. In other words, if you flip either direction switch, then activating either switch button would go in the opposite direction as before.
The shaded boxes show what's inside each set of controls. There are quite a few wires that have to go between the two boxes, but other than that it's pretty simple.
The two LED direction indicators on each panel show which way the current direction is set, and they change together as the direction switches are flipped. (I've omitted the resistors needed to limit current to the LEDs, but these are simply wired in series with the diodes.) I've used "west" and "east" here as directions.
So would this do what you want to have done? Is it even close?

Only if you overload the wall wort or supply too much voltage to the motor.

Simple. Just hook two reversing switches in line. Each switch reverses the voltage. So if both are in "reverse" the net result is "forward". The only problem with this is you can't tell what position it's in from the switch. You'd need to use two bi-color LEDs (one at each switch) connected (through a resistor) to the motor. This means running wires back.
It functions like a two way light switch, BTW.
--
Clark Martin
On 3/19/2008 7:16 PM Clark Martin spake thus:

See my reply, above yours, for a circuit diagram.
Thanks guys for all your suggestions... I think I have enough to work with now.
Carter

There was a complete article on this in Model Railroader magazine (back end of 2007 I believe). There were complete circuit diagrams which used motor car bulbs to help prevent overloading of the components. Perhaps someone can quote the exact article.
--
Mike Hughes
On 3/21/2008 2:40 AM Mike Hughes spake thus:

You must be thinking of conventional (coil) switch machines, which can draw enough current to burn themselves out. Tortoise machines draw very little current and wouldn't need any such current-limiting stuff.

It was definitely about Tortoise machines. The bulb was used either to limit the current or stop a dead short if the main control panel and the local panel were trying to operate the same point together. I'll try to dig out the article next week when I get time off - unless anyone can quote it first that is
--
Mike Hughes

The article in question is on page 82 of the Jan. 2008 Model Railroader Magazine. It is the best direct-wired scheme of powering Tortoises I've ever encountered. The wiring method is very simple yet it allows many operational options. This one is a keeper! However I'm not surprised as the author is a retired IBM staff engineer.
Peteski

"Retired IBM staff engineer."?
That means he'll release the drawing so that other people can build it and beta test the design. Then, once all the problems become known, he'll issue an upgrade. Perhaps.
-- Cheers
Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:- http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Latitude: 48 25' North Longitude: 123 21' West
Roger T. ( snipped-for-privacy@highspeedplus.com) said...

... and every third page will be intentionally left blank, and will say so.
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"As I listened to the Leader of the Opposition, it reminded me a little of

... and any on-line documents will be coded in EBCDIC.
said...

I'm sure they're up to 21st century standards... They'll be Unicode... EBCIDIC unicode. (Yes, there is such a thing.)
Puckdropper

On 24 Mar 2008 07:40:54 GMT, Puckdropper wrote:

Herman Hollerith lives on!!
--
Steve

On 3/23/2008 11:40 PM Puckdropper spake thus:

Just a *tiny* correction: you misspleld that. It's "EBCDIC". You spelled it the way people say it.

Sure did... I'll try to miss-missplell it next time.
Roger T. wrote:

Nah!!! You are confusing things with "Microsoft".
Chuck D.