Track gauges for handlaying track

Any recommendations out there for providers of HO track gauges that hold the rails together for handlaying track AND which also conform to the NMRA standards gauge? I'm using code 83 rail if that matters.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Chris

=>Any recommendations out there for providers of HO track =>gauges that hold the rails together for handlaying track =>AND which also conform to the NMRA standards gauge? I'm =>using code 83 rail if that matters. =>

=>Thanks in advance!

Any three-point track (MDC, KAdee, etc) gauge will do nicely. When gauging curves, the two points go on the outside of the curve, which automatically widens the guage just enough. If you set it the other way round, it will tighten up the gauge, which is not a good thing on curves, esp. if run long wheel-base steam locos or six-axle diesels. Difference between code 83 and code 100 railhead is well within gauge tolerances, so there should be no problems on that score. In nay case, it's the inner edges of the gauge that define the gauge, so just put the outer spike in first. Lay one rail as accurately as you can first, then gauge the other to it. Just snug the spikes down enough to hold the rail, sight down the track after you've laid it, adjust any wiggles and waves, and drive the spikes home. it's worth checking the gauge with an NMRA guage after the track is spiked down.

If you are handy with a metal lathe, or know someone who is, you can make "rolling gauges" from round steel stock. Use 1" to 1-1/2" stock, and turn two grooves whose inner edges are gauge distnace apart. IIRC, there is at least one rolling gauge available commercially, but can't recall who makes it. The advantage is that it's heavy enough to hold the rails down. Rolling gauges don't widen the gauge on curves, though.

HTH&GL

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

addresses this exact process. There are several images included in the article, and those images show a triangular unit that the author uses to align the rails on both curves and straight track.

I don't have the magazine with me.

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan
2000

Railway Engineering has roller gauges that work quite well. Use Google to find them. They come in groups of three. Buy at least six.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

"

"

Reply to
Paul Newhouse
40 years ago I had a roller gauge in brass; worked well and could serve as a heat sink when soldering. Haven't seen such since.

The Railway Engineering gauges are made of Lucite so I'd suspect they wouldn't handle too much heat. Still be good for track gauging though. See them at :

KTØT

The above gauges do not comply with the out of date coarser NMRA standard. They produce finer scale turnouts which work with current RTR equipment. Don't waste your time building track to the old NMRA track standard, go with the superior Railway Engineering gauges.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

Just building the turnouts to the spec will do a lot better than anything that you can buy as a readymade turnout. Remember that the spec for HO standard gauge is .650", not the .675" (or thereabouts) that the commercial turnouts are generally built to. In addition, when you sit down and look at the whole spec of track gauge and wheel gauge, you come to the conclusion that there is a problem as the wheel gauge is .637" which makes for a very sloppy interface between the wheel and track. Making the turnout even wider to the .675" gauge makes things even sloppier and the gap at the frog is even worse than with the smaller gauge and that is the #1 derailing problem with turnouts.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Track gauge used to be .650" but has been recently changed. My biggest complaint is that the manufacturers of turnouts (as well as all other track) is that they look at the spec and say anything between the standard and the max or minimum is fine and this is wrong as the spec is for a particular value with a (in the case of track gauge) -0"/+.023" which is something completely different. I'll note that over the years, I've seen some track that was actually out of gauge on the wide side that was being made. I don't know if that track is still being made as molds occasionally get replaced.