Train Derails Due To Bridge Collapse

I was watching a re run of tonights news and right as they went off the air they mentioned a train derailment on the Trinity River Bridge.
Well, it's only four miles away, so I drove up there....The Trinity River Bridge is a high traffic three pier bridge about one hundred feet from the automotive bridges. The Southmost Pier of the three is now at a thirty five degree angle facing the direction of travel(south) causing a ten - fifteen foot drop in the tracks. Nine of the apporx thirty cars have derailed and the lead engine (UPRR) is detatched from the rest of the train by about 10 feet. I am unsure if this was intentional or part of the derailment. I did not find out about this derailment until several hours after it occured, however when I arrived there were still several Emergency Vehicles on the road, and Several UPRR MOW Vehicles on the Scene, towing along heavy equipment to right the cars and fix the bridge. This is a high traffic bridge serving no less than 20 trains a day. Now before anyone takes this as an official account of what happened, I am NOT an Emergency Official or UPRR Official. I am looking at this from a standpoint of Driving by. The information I have provided is by view only. I will post more information as it becomes avaliable.
Robert
And the Trinity River Bridge would be where???.....
BB in Canada
On 2/20/04 5:51 AM, in article nxmZb.100897$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca, "Railfan" <"arailfan"@ NO SPAM post.com> wrote:

Anywhere from Dallas, Texas south to the Gulf of Mexico......
--
Brian Ehni

Brian Paul Ehni wrote:

Or anywhere between Lewiston (near Redding) and where it runs into the Klamath
--
Steve Caple

Steve Caple cried out

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2412103
Railfan ("arailfan"@NOSPAMpost.com) wrote: : And the Trinity River Bridge would be where???..... : : http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2412103 HoustonChronicle.com - Freight train derails over Trinity River
"A freight train derailed Thursday night on tracks over the Trinity River in San Jacinto County near the Polk County border.
Witnesses said they noticed about 10 p.m. that a railroad bridge over the river near U.S. 59 between the towns of Shepherd and Goodrich had collapsed.
One woman said she saw at least one rail car -- possibly a tanker -- hanging into the river. Sheriff's Department dispatchers confirmed that a train had derailed, but they could not provide any other information late Thursday night."
--Jerry Leslie Note: snipped-for-privacy@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email
On 2/20/04 7:37 AM, in article w4oZb.23323$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.texas.rr.com,

For those keeping score, this would be the old SSW "Jack Rabbit" line from Houston to Shreveport, LA.
--
Brian Ehni

leslie cried out

No that "Whitness" is wrong, all of the cars stayed completely on the bridge, none were hanging over, however nine cars did come off of the rails.

Over the Trinity river, just 4 miles from Rosco's place.
--
Will
HO - Credit Valley Railway

Is Mz Rosco making lunch? Chicken -fried steak or such. If not we can pop up to College Station and eat at Chicken Oil Company....
Jim Stewart
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:18:23 -0600, "Jim Stewart"

Mmmmm... good fries, too...
Jeff Sc. Bryan, Ga.
Railfan cried out

The trinity river is about 60 miles north of Houston Texas
Yes, it flows in a very tight circle there,. Some locals refer to it as "Lake Conroe."

Fred Williams cried out

nope sorry not lake conroe that is a completley different lake the trinity river does form lake livingston though
Rosco wrote:

That one is. But ours is prettier.
--
Steve Caple

Across the Trinity River?

for picture of bridge collapse see : http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?idP742
wonder if that bridge was really rated for SD units as switchers ???
On 20 Feb 2004 02:09:34 -0600, Rosco

Pictures?
Kirk
"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly
www.sandpoint.net/captkirk www.stormyacres.com
'Captain' Kirk DeHaan cried out

Sorry I have been unable to get pictures, there is no where to safley park to get pictures of the derailment as crews are already blocking one lane of the two land road for thier trucks. Since it is on a bridge, there is no shoulder.