Train Derails Due To Bridge Collapse

I was watching a re run of tonights news and right as they went off the air they mentioned a train derailment on the Trinity River Bridge. Well, it's only four miles away, so I drove up there....The Trinity River Bridge is a high traffic three pier bridge about one hundred feet from the automotive bridges. The Southmost Pier of the three is now at a thirty five degree angle facing the direction of travel(south) causing a ten - fifteen foot drop in the tracks. Nine of the apporx thirty cars have derailed and the lead engine (UPRR) is detatched from the rest of the train by about 10 feet. I am unsure if this was intentional or part of the derailment. I did not find out about this derailment until several hours after it occured, however when I arrived there were still several Emergency Vehicles on the road, and Several UPRR MOW Vehicles on the Scene, towing along heavy equipment to right the cars and fix the bridge. This is a high traffic bridge serving no less than 20 trains a day. Now before anyone takes this as an official account of what happened, I am NOT an Emergency Official or UPRR Official. I am looking at this from a standpoint of Driving by. The information I have provided is by view only. I will post more information as it becomes avaliable.

Robert

Reply to
Rosco

And the Trinity River Bridge would be where???.....

BB in Canada

Reply to
Railfan

Anywhere from Dallas, Texas south to the Gulf of Mexico......

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Railfan ("arailfan"@NOSPAMpost.com) wrote: : And the Trinity River Bridge would be where???..... : :

HoustonChronicle.com - Freight train derails over Trinity River

"A freight train derailed Thursday night on tracks over the Trinity River in San Jacinto County near the Polk County border.

Witnesses said they noticed about 10 p.m. that a railroad bridge over the river near U.S. 59 between the towns of Shepherd and Goodrich had collapsed.

One woman said she saw at least one rail car -- possibly a tanker -- hanging into the river. Sheriff's Department dispatchers confirmed that a train had derailed, but they could not provide any other information late Thursday night."

--Jerry Leslie Note: snipped-for-privacy@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email

Reply to
leslie

Over the Trinity river, just 4 miles from Rosco's place.

Reply to
wannandcan

For those keeping score, this would be the old SSW "Jack Rabbit" line from Houston to Shreveport, LA.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Only four miles from Rosco's house. Even I knew that!!

Reply to
Zeeman

Is Mz Rosco making lunch? Chicken -fried steak or such. If not we can pop up to College Station and eat at Chicken Oil Company....

Jim Stewart

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Reply to
'Captain' Kirk DeHaan

Or anywhere between Lewiston (near Redding) and where it runs into the Klamath

Reply to
Steve Caple

'Captain' Kirk DeHaan cried out

Reply to
Rosco

Railfan cried out

The trinity river is about 60 miles north of Houston Texas

Reply to
Rosco

leslie cried out

No that "Whitness" is wrong, all of the cars stayed completely on the bridge, none were hanging over, however nine cars did come off of the rails.

Reply to
Rosco

Steve Caple cried out

Rosco

Across the Trinity River?

Reply to
Fred Williams

Yes, it flows in a very tight circle there,. Some locals refer to it as "Lake Conroe."

Reply to
Fred Williams

try:

Tyler TX newspaper.

Reply to
Fred Williams

for picture of bridge collapse see :

wonder if that bridge was really rated for SD units as switchers ???

Reply to
Ray L. Nutz

That one is. But ours is prettier.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Bridge with feet of clay, eh? Pier washout sure isn't a new phenomenon; you'd think they might have checked it after the last few years of record floods.

Reply to
Steve Caple