Polish teen derails tram after hacking train network

A Polish teenager allegedly turned the tram system in the city of Lodz into his own personal train set, triggering chaos and derailing four
vehicles in the process. Twelve people were injured in one of the incidents. Check out http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/11/tram_hack / I confirmed that this is a true story.
Old.Professor wrote:

I read about this a couple of days ago. It's certainly a plausable story. There are so many systems like this in the world that have no real security mechanisms built in. It's assumed that no-one will bother to take the time to reverse engineer a system. That's probably the worst assumption anyone could make when designing a computer based system.
My favorite "wide open" US system is the traffic light switchers for emergency vehicles. I'm very surprised that it isn't abused more than it is.

Yeah. The new Boeing Dreamliner. On board internet and flight systems use the same computer system. DOH!
Here's one site: - (http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/Boeing-Dreamliner-exposed-to-passenger-hacking/0,130061744,339284880,00.htm )

Several web sites and You-Tube videos on how to convert your TV remote to change traffic lights.
-- Cheers
Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:- http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Latitude: 48 25' North Longitude: 123 21' West
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:10:41 -0600, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

You wouldn't be able to tell if it was since the lights are smart enough to go red in the directions where they need to be red. The 14hz control image can also be infrared making it invisible to you. The only result is an off time green that later gets corrected when the vehicle that activates is moves on.
I believe it's done more than you know. Virtually undetectable. The wide open part you mention could easily be closed by recording any activation by digital photograph. -- Ray