Grounding cars to the boat/train while in transport

Hello,

I know that a charge can build up in a car because tires insulate it from the ground. Does this effect translate to transporting cars on boats and trains? I mean: are cars grounded to the boat/train frame while in transport to reduce the possibility of a large static charge on the car?

Thanks for reading.

-- John Chia

Reply to
smell

I am not sure what the problem might be with a charge on the car, any more than just sliding out of it in a gas station on a winter day. It is really moot on a transporter since they are chained down.

Reply to
gfretwell

Modern motor tyres have a measurable resistance and so a car or trailer is effectively connected to the ground all the time.

The charge when you slide out of a car is between you and the car(& ground).

Reply to
John G

I am in a dispute with Mazda over some gouges that I contend took place during shipping before I got the car. They're rusting. If it's as you say, and there is no 25 gauge grounding cable... I'm out of luck. Thanks for replying.

-- John Chia

Reply to
smell

Most modern tires have enough conductance that this isn't really much of a problem.

The few cars I've seen loaded on to ferry or train are *chained* down, so any static charge would be grounded through the chains. Not that it's much of a hazard anyway. (a car not chained down on a rolling deck is more of a hazard than any static shock).

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Reply to