Two scratchbuilding articles

Ok scratchbuilders, you may be interested. I've been winnowing my collection of clippings, and found duplicates of:

Jack Work, "A timber deck truss bridge," Model Railroader April 1968, pp.52-57

Jack Work, "The Gingerbread House," Model Railroader November 1973, pp.71-77

These are originals, not photocopies or scans. If interested, e-mail me using wolfkir [that funny little a in a circle] sympatico period ca.

They're yours for $1 to a Canadian address, $2 to a US address, payment in stamps (yes, those sticky things that go on envelopes. ;-))

Reply to
Wolf

Any article that old is hopelessly out of date. Besides, why get cheap over a buck, just give the dam things away!

Reply to
prioritycharge

snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca

Is this your email address?

Reply to
prioritycharge

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Actually, I found articles from the '50s and '60s MRs to be usually quite relavent today. No, you don't use died sawdust as grass and things like that, but it's a fairly simple adjustment to make. One article I remember especially was "Expand your layout for a dollar." There were several good ideas in there.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Puckdropper's right. Any article by Jack Work will teach you a lot about scratchbuilding. The timber deck truss shows you how to build it out of wood, of course. The gingerbread house article is about how to use silicone molds to cast those detail parts that will make the house look right.

Reply to
Wolf
[snip]

I'm just wondering: what good would $2 in US stamps do you in Canada?

Reply to
<wkaiser

Some possibilities just off the top of my head.

(1) Use on SASE enclosures sent to destinations in the U.S. [For those not 'in the know' -- SASE = Self Addressed Stamped Envelope. Used when soliciting a reply of Catalog Sheets, Genealogical information, etc.] (2) Stamp collectors.

Chuck D.

snipped-for-privacy@mtholyoke.edu wrote:

Reply to
Charles Davis

Good question, and one I was wodnering myself.

IME, international postal reply coupons work better. They are redeemable in any country for stamps in that country. In the US, you buy them across the retal counter at your local PO, just as you would a US stamp. Send 'em off to Wolf.

Also, as some one who has relatives in Canada (Montreal) I know that the cot in Canadian postage to send ground snail mail to the US is very high. Much more in Canadian currency than it costs in US currency to send the same weight by surface snail mail to Canada from the US.

Canadian postage rates are very high compared to US rates, even after you account for the currency valuation differences.

Indeed, many Canadian mailers transport their US bound mail by car or truck to US border towns and mail it here with US postage. Many firms in Montreal, Quebec City, Vancouver and elsewhere do it. Saves a lot of money.

So please don't nit pick Wolf for asking for the postage.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

My bro' collects stamps.

Reply to