UNION PACIFIC 3985.....

You any relation to that other Mike Walsh....the Mike who used to play with the big train set in Omaha before moving on to Tenneco? Mike's big brother Tom used to play with the little train set (Tri Met) in Portland, Oregon?

It just seems so odd having a Mike Walsh posting on UP topics.

-- Jim McLaughlin

Please don't just hit the reply key. Remove the obvious from the address to reply.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

UP stopped freight? Not news. UP MOVING freight? Big news!

Reply to
MrRathburne

No. I am 18 and i live in St. Louis, Mo. :)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Walsh, JR.

the crew hopes to leave wednesday morning at 8 am. mike

Reply to
Mike Walsh, JR.

Is there any expected time (hopefully) when the 3985 will be passing by Dallas/Fort Worth??? Or hopefully somewhere in NE Texas on the way to Houston???

W>What is wrong with you guys? All you guys have been doing is

Reply to
Cap'n Nemo

The crew said that the scheduled TIMES stay the same. the DAYS are different. I'm not sure if they will be cancelling the display days, or what.

There was an article in the paper today. St Louis Post Dispatch.. Sunday Jan 18, 2004

Mechanical Problems will Delay locomotive

Mechanical problems have forced the Union Pacific railroad to delay until midweek the departure from St. Louis of the "Challenger," the world's largest operating steam locomotive, railroad spokesman Mark Davis says.

The mighty engine, based in Cheyenne, Wyo. is on its way to Houston for the Super Bowl but will be staying here longer than planned. "The locomotive has to cool down at least two days," Davis said. "Once that is done the mechanical team will go in and make repairs. We're hoping to be under way sometime" this week.

Davis said a pipe that brings water into the firebox has a bulge in it and must be replaced. The exact day of arrival in Houston is unknown, but Davis said that "We're looking at arrival prior to the super bowl."

While in St. Louis the locomotive will be on display from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 1200 Central Industrial Avenue off Choteau Avenue, just south of Midtown.

____

i spoke to the crew yesterday, and they said that they hoped to complete repairs today, and begin steamup right after that. They said it takes two days to steam up, but one of the engineers that i spent some time talking to, said that they'd use the boiler-dorm to pump steam into the loco, as well as the tender (to heat up the bunker oil) to bring up steam partially so that they can operate the atomizer, and have a better startup, rather than starting from stratch. The loco has been drained of water enough to replace the faulty siphon pipe, and the fire is completely out, as they are working in the firebox. I can guarantee the loco is at 0 PSI!!!! In many photos that i've taken of the cab, i have the pressure gauge in it, and it reads 0 psi. They'd better leave wednesday as that is the best chance for me to skip school.. dr's appt at 1 :)

However if it leaves thursday, im screwed :( dr's appt at 8

The crew says that they leave at 8 AM on the dot every morning, regardless of what day it is. It is their deadline to leave. It doesnt matter what day it is, they leave at 8 AM every day they move on the road.

The souvenir car has been restocked, since they have to stay 2 or 3 extra days. The consist and loco has been moved around a bit, with the consist being on the outside trakc, ,and the loco on the original track, but moved BACK to line up with the boiler dorm (no brainer eh? :)

They're using plenty of portable heaters, and fiberglass insulation to help keep the loco warm, i'd assume. Some parts appear to be rusting, but it is probably due to the weather here, and the loco completely cooling down. We're currently at 11 degrees, and the crew is one dedicated crew -- they are working in this weather, and they were working yesterday as well, when it was 14 deg downtown, and it was snowing, to boot!

wow, this has got to be a disappointment to them.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Walsh, JR.

Is the schedule and planned routes posted anywhere online? I'd like to know which way they're coming into Houston and when.

Reply to
Rick Jones

Which way? Behind a diesel, by the sounds of it...

Reply to
Mark Newton

it is NOT being pushed/pulled by a diesel!!! :)

the replacement part was being replaced when i went yesterday and they said they were gunning for fireup today, to leave tomorrow. all schedules remain the same, otherwise they are penalized and cannot leave any later.. and if they leave tomorrow, they're going at 8 AM. I will be finding out today and will post tonight.

like i say steam is >

Reply to
Mike Walsh, JR.

It's a joke, Joyce.

What failed, a syphon? Hard to imagine replacing one of these on the road.

Gibberish.

Reply to
Mark Newton

They said one of the circulators had a bulge in it. The plan was to get inside the firebox, cut out the bulge, and weld a repair patch on.

Posted on Trainorders, I think.

Kennedy

Reply to
Kennedy (no longer not on The Haggis!)

listed here is UP's press release, the original schedule and a route map

me

"> > What failed, a syphon? Hard to imagine replacing one of these on the

"Circulator" What the heck is that? Or do they mean "Thermic Syphon"?

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

"Jim McLaughlin" wrote

--------------------------------

McLaughlin, are you really that important that your ego requires you to notify the rest of us that you're plonking someone?

Reply to
Dont Know My Name

Well darn. Arriving and leaving on weekedays. I can't afford the time off work to see it in operation, but I should be able to stop for a look while it's on display.

Reply to
Rick Jones

No, they mean a circulator - I'd forgotten about the UP Challengers having these. They were a proprietary item made by the American Arch Company, of New York. They look like an inverted "T", the leg of the T is fitted to the crownsheet, and the crosspiece attaches to the firebox sidesheets. The brick arch segments rest on the crosspieces.

I can send you photos of what they look like if you want Roger, as one of our engines has them.

Cheers,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton
Reply to
Mark Newton

Not a nice job. I don't envy the UP crew at all.

Thanks for the info, Kennedy.

Cheers,

Mark.

Reply to