Union Pacific phasing out signal lines.

Our local newspaper has Q&A section for community things and a person asked about broken or leaning electric line poles along the Union Pacific railroad tracks here in the south end of the Central valley in California as viewed from highway 99. The wires were still intact but the poles in bad shape and he was wondering why they weren't replaced. The answer came from a local signal maintenance manager who stated the lines are used to send messages to trains (like to emergency stop, trouble ahead, etc.) but that they scheduled to be phased out in the next 10 years. The newer system will send messages directly through the track but in the meantime they will continue to repair as needed the "creaky network" of wires damaged by storms or auto accidents rather than spend money for temporary new ones.

Now I don't know that much about DCC but it almost sounds like model trains are ahead in technology of the real ones!

I actually mention this as I suppose this is going on everywhere (or we may actually be behind the times here) and modern layouts will no doubt have to adjust their detail accuracy in time by removing their poles as well (or for now you can start tipping them over a little -lol).

Reply to
flyingdragon64

This sounded like a description of positive train control -- up to this point. I thought PTC would likely be implemented by sending communications via radio, and not through the rail?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

When the first fiber optic cables were being installed MCI ran their fiber optic cables under ground on the UP right of way from Memphis,TN to the west coast. Several fiber optic lines in the cable were dedicated to the UP as part of the lease deal. After the cable was in operation the signals and company telephones were converted to run over the fiber optic lines. Which made the telephone/signal lines running beside the tracks on poles obsolete where ever the fiber optic lines were.

Reply to
J.A.Freeman

Yes and here in So. Sacramento, along the UP line about 5 or 6 years ago, was a work crew burying either 3 or 4 lines, don't remember exactly how many. Each one a different color of course

-- David J

Reply to
L.Hamilton Silkitis

communications

actually, I think the "new system" is merely electrocode, which is coded thru the rails rather than line wires.

Reply to
me

Sounds suspiciously like DCC to me.... :)

Reply to
+GF+

Hmmm.. mebbe the NMRA should sue UP for a change...

Reply to
Joe Ellis