UP shareholders meeting (was: Look what the creeps at UP did.)

Way to look at it is for every share of UP I buy I can get 1.771189072 share of BNSF. Taking that my dividend is $4.40 for UP and 4.75 x 1.771189072 = $8.41 for the same monies spent. That is what makes BNSF a better value and a better earner.

GF

Reply to
+GF+

BNSF dividend divided by BNSF stock price 1.53/32.21 = 4.75 CENTS per dollar invested

UP dividend divided by BNSF stock price 2.49/57.05 = 4.364 CENTS per dollar invested

That's a lot more intuitive, at least to me, than the BNSF/UP stock price ratio calculation that you are doing.

My BNSF money makes .386 CENTS more per dollar invested than I would have made investing those same dollars in UP stock.

I'm not sure Marks numbers are correct and it looks like he calculated

12 dividend periods for BNSF and 11 for UP.

From todays info on finance.yahoo.com:

EPS CLOSE DIVIDEND per DOLLAR --- ----- ------------------- UNP 4.060/57.05 = .07116 BNI 2.088/32.21 = .06482

OOoopppss, UNP wins today. Oh yeah, you have to pay tax on that ordinary income.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Oooppss, lets make that:

UP dividend divided by UP stock price

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

"Two23" wrote

Can you document a single 100 ton covered hopper in grain service, leased by BNSF?

No longer the case.The Winter wheat harvest begins in Texas/Oklahome the first week in June. The harvest season continues into December/January or until the northern Sunflower fields are snowed in. Northern Plains elevators don't get all their cereal grains moved to the West Coast until summer. The elevators are NEVER empty.

Closer to $100,000 than to $40,000 if purchased new.

Reply to
NorthPolePostmaster

You are of course right. I wasn't thinking right, should have said I've out performed with UP stock. Besides not being exactly literal about the three years, I was just looking at my account totals. I neglected to take into account that I've bought and sold UP stock four times in that "three years". BNSF on the other hand I've only bought and sold twice. I messed up what could have been one nice cycle. Without that, BNSF would have probably been better. Trading the stocks I've done significantly better than 15.9% on both, but KCS has been the best. Pity I'm not playing with a higher volume of shares.

I really hope everyone sold their UP in December when it was $68+ a share and then bought it back for dividends when it came down.

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

Any word on whether the licensing agreement was on the agenda at today's shareholder's meeting?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

The agenda items from today's meeting are available by calling

1-800-DEADHORSE or via the website,
Scroll down to see the detaisl.

Reply to
MrRathburne

It obviously troubles you that this thread discusses model railroad issues that disturb you -- but the simple fact remains that the shareholders meeting was just this past week.

Any word on whether the licensing agreement was on the agenda at the shareholder's meeting?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

The local Omaha paper said that the licensing was discussed, but to what extent or outcome wasn't mentioned.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Maynard B. Morris of Kaysville, Utah spoke up!

"Licencing [sic] Model Trains: Union Pacific puts price on logo" The Salt Lake Tribune, April 17, 2004

" ... Anger over UP's new licensing agreement surfaced Friday at the company's annual stockholders meeting in Salt Lake City, when shareholder and model-railroading enthusiast Maynard B. Morris of Kaysville asked UP Chairman Robert Davidson why the company is going out of its way to alienate the model train community. ..."

According to the Omaha World-Herald article, about 50 people attended the meeting. It sounds like no change in policy, however.

Reply to
Mark Mathu