Is something up at iRobot?

Joe Jones just left with several others, promising to return with something (unspecificed) robotic in the future. I think he said he was employee #12 or such.

Then I read this about Colin Angle selling thousands of shares:

Sudden bump? blow up from with in? Fear of Rodney retiring? or just business as unusual? Any one got an inside track?

-- Randy M. Dumse

Caution: Objects in mirror are more confused than they appear.

Reply to
RMDumse

I don't have an inside track, but their shares are at about $18, so 8000 shares is a little under $150K, which means that Colin probably either wanted a down payment on a new house, or he bought a nice car...

According to the filing info, Colin has a little less than 1.5 million shares, which puts his approximate worth somewhere a little north of 25 million dollars.

I don't suspect there's anything going on, at least WRT the 8000 shares.

Later, Jon

Project: Micro Raptor (Small Biped Velociraptor Robot)

Jon Hylands

I imaging that if the selling was a prearranged trade arrangement, as it says it was, then it's a way for Mr. Angle to pull out a little bit of cash for some personal need. We're talking less than 1% of his stock after all...

Seems to me that if Joe Jones is leaving iRobot, it probably has more to do with the nature of his type or robot, and the increasing dominance of military-based robots developed by the company. As a business, would you prefer to develop and market 2 million robots that net maybe $40-50 each and have a high customer support cost, or 10,000 robots (just an example) that sell to the gobment at $20,000 each, in which support is a billable extra?

Me, I'd take the government contract business any day. So, while I have ZERO inside track, I'd say iRobot is preparing to sell the Roomba line so it can concentrate on militrary and commercial robotics. Joe is going where his personal interests are. I hope he finds the niche he's looking for, and becomes filthy rich.

(Then again, I did not read the report that said he was leaving, so I'm merely basing my comments on your report.)

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb