What about painted AND weathered RTR?

Just curious when the manufacturers are going to start offering weathering in addition to painted models. That would be neat to see nice weathering on a RTR model wouldn't it assuming it was done well. I wonder if you can pad print realisitc rust blotches. My prediction is that will happen in the future.

When ERTL came out with their freight cars a few years ago they had what looked like weathering on them. It was an overspray of an unrealistic brown color but it migh have ste the stage for future RTR weathered cars.

One of the manufactuers should try it and see what happens. Oops there I go again risking their money :-)

CBix

Reply to
Charles Bix

It won't happen - too many variables in how cars weather in different parts of the country, and the era folks model. Not to mention the additional costs of two or three MORE colors of paint on a car.

For example, assume a car with a build date of 1955. Someone modeling 1955 wants it to look new, if 1962, then lightly weathered, if 1970 then moderate to heavy weathering, if 1990, nearly falling apart... unless the railroad takes care of its equipment...

Then there are railroads like mine, that actually make enough money that they keep their equipment clean, painted, and in good repair. Of course, it helps that the interstate highway system was never built...

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Someone is working on pre-weathered models, steam engines I think. I read in a recent ad in MR that some models were going to be offered weathered. Can't recall which firm it was, though. Anyone else remember?

Bob Boudreau Canada

Reply to
Railfan

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Highly unlikely that this will happen. Weathering is very subjective and one man's good job is anothers terrible job.

Reply to
MrRathburne

Both Bachmann and Hornby are offering weathered examples of many models in addition to the normal pristine liveries. See for example

and select locomotives. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Keith Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Liliput began offering them around 1980, Maerklin around 1990. As Liliput has been a part of the Bachmann empire for the last 10+ years, obviously the only reason you don't get them in the US is that you don't ask for them to be produced.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"Then there are railroads like mine, that actually make enough money that they keep their equipment clean, painted, and in good repair. Of course, it helps that the interstate highway system was never built... "

Reply to
Eric

How be we just pay the manufacturers to have some guy from China come to our homes and build and operate our layouts for us.

Charles Bix wrote:

Reply to
Barry Silverthorn

It has happened in the past. An outfit called "Mr. Weather" in the

1970s sold Athearn freight cars that were individually weathered, no two alike. I still have two of their hoppers... the rusting was very good especially in its day. But they were way expensive - back then an Athearn twin hopper was $2.50, and Mr. Weather was $10. When they marked them down to $5, I bought a couple. Concept didn't catch on.

Only about 4 years ago, Ertl got into HO scale briefly with some pre-weathered freight cars. Again they were pricey and didn't last long.

The problem I have with pre-weathered --- even if it is well done, and even if it's done to my own standards --- is the same problem I have with pre-painted RTR, to a lesser degree. Sameness. At least with prepainted RTR, I can personalize a model with the stroke of an airbrush (or a Q-tip, if that's what turns you on!). Pre-weathered models... I dunno. That to me takes it to the level of watching TV. But then again, billions of people watch TV....

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

Just wondering - if the models are already built and weathered what is left for us to do? The trend is away from doing anything yourself which (to me anyway) is the real reason for being in the hobby!

Just my humble opinion

Bruce

Reply to
tailgunner

Spend more time on scenery, realistic trackplanning and operations.

CBix

Reply to
Charles Bix

There was a guy a while back who was weathering Kadee boxcars...send him two, you would get one back "professionally weathered."

That didn't seem to catch on either...

Jeff Sc. Six Mile Island, Ga.

Reply to
crosstie

Well, that sounds great!

One question: Once the layout is finished, am I legally obligated to have the immigrant over on Friday nights for operating sessions?

:)

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Barry Silverthorn

Where would railroads be without coolies? :-)

Eric