Where is a good place to buy online?

First question: I want to buy a Digitrax DCC system and would like some feedback as to some good places to order from in terms of good prices and good customer satisfaction.

Second, what is the state of the art for Digitrax? I was thinking in terms of the radio controlled Super Empire Builder or Super Chief. Is there anything coming down the pike in the immediate future which I should hold out for?

Thank you!

--Scott snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Reply to
Scott

S>First question: S>I want to buy a Digitrax DCC system and would like some feedback as to S>some good places to order from in terms of good prices and good S>customer satisfaction.

S>Second, what is the state of the art for Digitrax? I was thinking in S>terms of the radio controlled Super Empire Builder or Super Chief. Is S>there anything coming down the pike in the immediate future which I S>should hold out for?

S>Thank you! S>--Scott S> snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Scott,

I asked this same question a couple of weeks ago. I too am looking at the Super Chief radio controlled system. It doesn't appear anything new is coming except the possibility if bidirectional signalling between the decoders and the control stations. I am not sure how long off this is and whether the NMRA has totally agreed on the standard. I do plan to get the 8A booster and not the 5A booster on the starter system. Just a few bucks more for it. I am looking at Tony's place to buy it. He has a good reputation and good prices. See:

the Radio Super Chief is $514. Note you'll need some type of power supply. They sell an 8A one for $37.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Binkley

I have the Zephyr system since I just needed something to program and test locos. I run on a modular layout. We're still in a building phase, but plan to get the Super Chief I think. Not 100% sure yet.

I got the system, decoder and a UP-5 for a good price from Youngwood Model Railroad Supply,

. But that was my pref. You'll get as many answers as there are shops out there.

Reply to
John McManaman

Both Loy's Toys

and Tony's Train Exchange
are known for extremely good service, though I've always felt that Loy's was a better source for Digitrax information than Tony's. Also, when I needed some components in a hurry last summer, I had very good results from Gordy's Hobby Express in Bethel, Ohio (513-734-3232). I regularly visit his booth at train shows and leave lots of money there.

No new systems have been announced or hinted at yet from Digitrax. As far as anything new in the way of a base system from Digitrax that improves on the Super Chief, I can't see much need in the near future, since the system architecture doesn't require changes to the command station to support new features Digitrax develops. Radio capability was added without any changes to the command station, as was detection, signal control and Digitrax's transponding.

Personally, I think that the Empire Builder in any of its forms potentially has a significant liability in that it isn't designed to read back CVs from a decoder. Now, if you intend to use a computer with a PR1 or the more robust LocoBuffer to handle decoder programming, this isn't so much of an issue, but if you plan on just using the command station to handle your programming, you're much better off with the Super Chief or, if your needs are more modest, the Zephyr.

-fm Webmaster, Rails on Wheels, Washtenaw County, Michigan's HO Modular Club, at

The address in the header of this message is deliberately bogus to foil address-harvesters. See my web sites for my real address.

Reply to
Fritz Milhaupt

I bought my Super Empire Builder along with several repeat orders on-line from

. Tom specializes in DCC, has great prices and excellent service!!

Reply to
Don Fouts

I have been very happy with Loys Toys

great service and support. Prices are as low as anybody.

Paul McGraw

Reply to
Paul McGraw

What are some of the online stores that have the best return policies?

Kent in SD

"I want to be the candidate of the guys with Confederate flags on their pickups too!"

--Howard Dean, running for president of the Confederate States of America

Reply to
Two23