will a 1950 lionel engine run on a current 0 track?

I Have a 1950s lionel steam engine number671 with 20 wheels. Will it run on the current 0 Track and transformer

On 2013-12-05 10:18 PM, mikejp wrote:

The only restriction would be curve radius and track switches. You'll need O-72 curves and track switches to match. You will likely need a more powerful transformer, too. It's a very big engine.
BTW "20 wheels" is not very informative. Describe the locomotive by listing the small wheel at the front (pilot truck wheels) if any, then the large wheels (driving wheels), then the small wheels at the back (trailing truck wheels). I searched, and found the engine with "20 wheels", it's the Pennsylvania RR steam turbine locomotive. Very large.
BTW, if you can do this, disassemble the engine, and clean its innards. Then _lightly_ lubricate all bearing surfaces. If you can't do this, it's money well spent to get it done.
HTH
--
Wolf K.
kirkwood40.blogspot.ca
replying to Wolf Kirchmeir , mikejp wrote:

Thanks for the info. The engine is a steam with 6 wheels in front and 6 in back. There are 8 driving wheels. What size transformer do you think I need? The one I have is a 0 - 18 VAC at 49 watts.
On 2013-12-06 2:18 PM, mikejp wrote:

It's a 6-8-6, and AFAIK only the Pennsy had this wheel arrangement. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRR_S2 http://prrsteam.mrdek.com/s2_class.html
Google "PRR 6-8-6 steam turbine class S2" for more.
I would go for at least a 74 watt unit. Your unit will run the engine, but IMO doesn't have enough oomph to trigger the reversing relay inside the engine.
HTH
--
Wolf K.
kirkwood40.blogspot.ca

Here is a link to information on your 671. You can try your transformer. If it won't pull it or gets to hot you will have to move up in wattages. If it is a lionel transformer most have overload protection. Have fun Tom
http://www.tandem-associates.com/lionel/lionel_trains_671_loco.htm
--- ---