5 HP Petter appletop on Ebay

An interestin original find.

Pete Aldous

I like it!

Chris Crocker - White

All, This was for sale in November SEM classifieds.

I thought £680 was a bit on the high side....

It is rather fine all the same, and I'm surprised he didn't get offered £500 by someone.

This brings me to a point of curiosity for me. How effective have you lot found SEM for selling. A few of my engines came from SEM and one seller admitted I was first contact.

Please feel free to make jokey comments about aliens at this point!

Regards, Arthur G

Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

I've used SEM for buying and selling many times with mixed success. It appears to be fairly unpredicatable, I have rung up about engines a week after the mag came out which I expected to be sold and they haven't. I've sold engines to callers who contacted 3 months after the advert was in the mag. I find that for the more 'run of the mill' stuff you have to price reasonably or be willing to trade, whereas for some of the more esoteric (I avoid the use of the word rare as it is so often mis-applied) stuff there will always be a thriving market. I don't think I have ever had a bargain from the SEM but I have picked up some nice stuff over the years.

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

The sleeper has awoken :-)) Where you bin Dan.

Martrin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Yes, mixed success is a good description, I think. The Wolesley sold via this Newsgroup, but I had a couple of interested nibblers from the ad in SE magazine which I'd already submitted. I've still got the D, never a call.

I've sold some back issues of the magazine, but not enough really to cover the cost of purchase and advertising and they still fill a space at the top of the stairs!

I've done quite well buying stuff from there and - far more importantly - met some really interesting people whilst doing so. I do take the view that we are only looking after these lumps of old iron and have met quite a few that feel the same way. The last one I bought was the Bernard air cooled from Tony Frostick. He said I was lucky I phoned when I did as he could have sold at least thirty if he'd had them!

But, thus heartened by tales of late buys, I'll find that back issue and ring about the - well, tell you later!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Busy earning a crust, sorting the new house, and finally setting up a decent machine shop - a long way to go yet (which isn't helped by the foul weather at the moment) but I'm getting there. Then there's the website to update, an engine to sort for rallying next year, terminal wheelarch rot on the van etc, etc, etc...

Anyway - you lot seem to be getting on well enough without me ;-)

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Bought my Bradford King-Of-All from an ad in a two month old copy of SEM, albeit a good number of years ago. More recently I offered a 'Leek', suggesting that I would prefer to px for a small hot air engine, which resulted in the acquisition of my Ky-Ko. The last thing I rang up for was a Pygmylight Mar-Vil. As requested in the ad I waited 'till after six before calling - but it had sold earlier in the day!

Reply to
Nick Highfield