A salutary lesson

Rules for dealing with garages: 1. The bigger they are, the less they know or care. These places are factories. The mechanics never meet the customer so it's just a job on
a machine. They don't see any problems as affecting people.
2. Main agents are useless. All the comments above apply plus their rates are the highest and people are tied to them for the guarantee period. When that expires, most folks take their cars elsewhere. Consequently, main agents only do routine servicing or replace components. It's a brain dead job with no stimulation. The management is there to make money and that's the driving force behind the business.
3. Garage mechanics know next to nothing about electrics. When something doesn't work they replace it hoping that cures the problem. If it doesn't, they replace something else, after all, they're not paying for the first thing they replaced. Just tell the customer there were two faulty components, they won't know any better. Feed them b**sh*t and take their money. Once they've got your 's they don't care about anything else.
4. The customer has no comeback on the garage who will swear that the vehicle was in excellent condition when it left them. They checked all their work thoroughly and any subsequent fault either developed afterwards or the owner has been fiddling. Take the matter further and you find yourself arguing against a qualified mechanic with loads of training certificates to say he knows all about that particular type of vehicle. Any qualifications you may have are far too general, not specific to that vehicle and are so old as to be irrelevant.
You could report them to trading standards for letting an unsafe vehicle on the road. They're unlikely to do much about one case but if they've already got a file full of similar incidents it could add to the picture.
Personally I wouldn't trust any big garage near anything of mine. I've experienced their ineptitude and lack of care too many times. If you MUST take your vehicle to them, check everything they claim they've done.
On the matter of your electrics, I've come across some 7 pin pre-wired towing socket where the wires are pushed into the terminals and the screw tightened onto it. Note the lack of wire stripping; they hope the screw penetrates the insulation. If it doesn't, someone else will fix it.
John, (cynical car enthusiast and ex mechanic)
it's the same the world over. the last place i want to take my car is the dealer. Rule # 685522490: always demand the defective part, else it's being paid under warranty. and furthermore, that's gaskets and all!. friends who do this often experience a difference in the bill. sam also an ex mechanic
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 18:23:31 -0000, "campingstoveman"

I hired a trailer once (Newport, Wales) and apart from the usual dead lights found that it also had flat tyres. Fortunately their yard monkey had an airline with which he could inflate them.
* to the correct pressure, i.e. that marked on the tyre as an inflation limit.
* to the right pressure, as marked on each _tyre_, i.e. about 10psi different from side to side.
I had a rather better experience with Barlow Trailers of Chorley last week (nice big 4-wheeler car trailer for only 35/day). So I shifted this: <http://codesmiths.com/shed/sheds/vulcan/

Yard Monkey !!! You arse bet you didn't call him that to his face ?
Rob

When someone seriously over-inflates a tyre that I'm standing right next to, I tend to call them much worse than that.
Fair enough I got out of the wrong side of the bed & didn't fully appreciate the reason for abuse, I took you was abusing him for the failings of the company sorry.
Rob

Brilliant - I want one!
Nick H
The RAF museum in London found a Felixstowe flying boat hull being used as a shed in a garden in Suffolk many years ago.
Martin P
wrote ( snip):-

OH yes! I want one too - but I can just imagine the look on Hazel's face, so I won't try & squeeze one into the back garden.
However, what an absolutely marvellous device to fit to a trailer. It covers your engine (s) whilst on the move in the position intended by Avro's. Upon arrival, the trailer is detached from the car & the nosecone raised into a vertical position, preferably by hydraulic rams operated from a stationary engine driven pump. It could be fitted with a seat & table top, kettle etc so one may sit at one's ease in the blazing sun or pouring rain. The "No gazebo" brigade that pester us at events would be nonplussed as it is a trailer cover, honest.
How much and where can I get one? ;o))
--

regards,

Kim Siddorn
>Upon arrival, the trailer is detached from the car & the nosecone raised into a

Do I hear a Mighty Wurlitzer? :~}
Regards, Dave Carter.

Bluff called - Have to be quick:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meteor-Radar-Nose-Cone-Aircraft-Aviation-1950s_W0QQitemZ110225327871QQihZ001QQcategoryZ2983QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Item 110225327871
Now if you shortened it a little and fitted two cows horns, it would make a brilliant helmet :-)
John
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:43:31 -0800 (PST), John
I've been watching that all week -- but I really couldn't think what I needed it for, so didn't buy it.
(Yes, I have been ill lately)
Gentlemen,
An update, went into Dealer with Van last Tuesday and was told they could not give me five minutes to check connection so I would have to leave it with them or book it in so next Friday nearly, two weeks later, it goes in to have one wire checked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have already had a quick look and found all wiring in place up to van electrics and if it wasn't for the fact that the cables are either grey or pink I would fix it myself, and its a company van and warranted
Martin P

http://internalfire.com/modules.php?set_albumName mpingstoveman&op=modload&name=PubGallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Gentlemen,
The final outcome, I took the van in to have the wiring sorted today, arrived at 08:00 and left it with them. I then got a call at 11:30 telling me that they had contacted the company who had fitted the towbar on their behalf and they could not look at the van until next Wednesday so I asked them what was the point of me bringing in today at their request then. I was asked to return it next Wednesday but I suggested that as they had their own Auto Electricians they might have a look instead. After a few mutterings the garage went away and rang me back late afternoon to tell me it was fixed. Due to a hospital visit this afternoon I cant collect the van until tomorrow morning hopefully all shall be well.
Martin P

Collected the Van this morning, the desk jockey had great delight in telling me that they had found that the tow socket had been incorrectly wired, I nearly bit my tongue off trying not to say told you so. I went outside and tested it before I left the forecourt, not that I didn't believe him.
Martin P