Alternatives for diesel fuelled SEs

Hi all,

I wondered if any of you or anyone known to you has used alternative fuel for diesel SEs. Vegetable oil from the chippie was the particular fuel I was thinking of.

While I'm fond of the smell of my Petter S, now back in action after a new hot-bulb gasket, (thanks to all concerned for advice and material help), I have to say that diesel exhaust fumes are not the most sublime aroma I've come across. The smell of the chip-shop emerging from it would be novel, to say the least.

I know someone who ran his Landrover Series 1 (off-road on his farm, I hasten to add) on vegetable oil experimentally, and it did smell very pleasant.

Would old chip shop oil need water to be removed from it, or just filtering?

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

diesel SEs. Vegetable oil from the

hot-bulb gasket, (thanks to all concerned for

most sublime aroma I've come across. The

to add) on vegetable oil experimentally,

Hi Arthur, See

is the safest place to run a diesel & disguise the smell. 8^)

-- Dave Croft Warrington

Reply to
Dave Croft

Dave,

Is that a modern gas producer plant? :-)

Seeing the sign on the door, made me expect to see a National Gas engine plumbed in!

Arthur G

for diesel SEs. Vegetable oil from the

hot-bulb gasket, (thanks to all concerned

the most sublime aroma I've come across.

hasten to add) on vegetable oil experimentally,

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Do a search on ("Vegetable oil" diesel) and there are a number of sites that give the information you are after. If you could get it to smell of Castrol R, that would certainly attract a particular sort of person, wouldn't it Kim. Don't forget to empty the fuel system at the end of the year otherwise the result can be quite messy.

John

for diesel SEs. Vegetable oil from the

hot-bulb gasket, (thanks to all concerned for

the most sublime aroma I've come across. The

hasten to add) on vegetable oil experimentally,

Reply to
John Manders

Castrol R? Oh yes indeedy!

I once had a friend called Greg who fried some chips in Castrol R "Well, it's vegetable oil, innit?" I must sadly record that the chips were quite inedible, but his house smelt of Castrol R for weeks afterwards, something which he and his friends appreciated, but that his wife did not. She decamped with the children to her sister's place for the weekend whilst he "got rid of that terrible smell".

A few phone calls and we had a nice barby on Saturday evening, beer, food (no chips!) and no family with the house smelling like the paddock in The Island. I've rarely seen so many Vincents, Velocettes and Scotts in one place since outside TT week.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Arthur,

Some friends of my parents succesfully ran their Bolinder on veg oil several years ago but said it rather changed the delights of cruising canals through the heart of the countryside into queing for the chips on Saturday night. It did work but for some reason the smoke came out purple.

I know that in the war years boatmen ran semi's with creasote. It says in all the Petter books I have it is possible and one gives quite detailed specs for the fuel. If you want I can send you a copy of my copy. I agree though that I have been tempted in the past to try griesel. I would wonder whether the smaller S-types preference for a lighter fuel i.e. kerosene as opposed to diesel in the larger 12 or 18hp engines might necesitate starting on a normal fuel and then pre-heating of the oil before switching to run on it.

As a footnote I rather like the smell of two stroke fumes and Chris Bedo will tell you that going through a tunnel on my boat there is no escaping them.

Regards,

John Macdonald Smith

Reply to
John Macdonald Smith

hot-bulb gasket, (thanks to all concerned for

What did you end up using?

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: NB Rumpus:

of the Cromford Canal:
Light Railway:

Brian Dominic me

Ahem..

I used a traditional material, which worked a treat, but smells like suffering clutch when the engine is hot.

Nuff said ;-)

Arthur G

hot-bulb gasket, (thanks to all concerned for

Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

if you mix diesel and veg oil 50/50 you should not have any problem. In warm weather you should be ok to run on 75veg oil/25diesel direct from cold.

suffering clutch when the engine is hot.

new hot-bulb gasket, (thanks to all concerned

adrenalin