An Anson working party?

Oblivious to Other Matters, at the end of January, I'd privately e-mailed Geoff Challinor about the possibility of arranging a Working Weekend at the Anson.

He has come back to me to explore this possibility and (snipped) said this:

"............ a day/weekend out at The Anson Engine Museum to help us get ready for the coming season has a lot of merit and if you think folks might be up for it - how about we try to arrange something for the 20/21 March?

The old classroom building should be emptied by then and basically the whole thing needs demolished. Anyone who wants to get involved in raising the building down to its foundations would be most welcome on one or two small provisos. Namely - they bring and wear personal safety equipment (hard hats, goggles, safety shoes & preferably gloves) and they work under the overall supervision of Ray Maddock who of course reports to me.

Other work gangs could help with a)cleaning/painting the toilet block and some of the other buildings b)strimming the grass areas and bushes and even planting some baskets/tubs c)filling in the worst of the potholes in the carpark and drive d)moving some of the equipment/engines to their new homes

These are some of the many things that need done before we get the season started on Easter Sunday - I am sure I have a list twice as long if I think about it properly.

If you think some of your contacts might be willing to help us out in this way I would really appreciate it. Because of the classroom having to come down there is no facility to make meals or coffees. However if I thought enough people were going to turn up that weekend I would have a word with the snack van people to see if they could come along.

I look forward to hearing your views on this. Thanks for the offer, I do appreciate it.

Geoff"

So, there we are then. Personally, I could make neither of those days (our AGM & then an officer's meeting), but it's a start.

Firstly, do we think it's a good idea?

and

How many would come along to help?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Kim, I think its a great idea, but we're a week off lambing then, and the weekend will be spent mucking out sheds, disinfecting, putting up pens and keeping a weather-eye on the ewes for any problems.

I wouldn't be available until sometime in late May early June. This is the downfall of a job and a small farm to keep.

I do wish all the best to the idea and take my hat off to those who can make it.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Same story I am afraid. Mrs John is due to have our first baby in just over a week. I am told that this can lead to some considerable disruption to one's leisure time so commiting to a weekend or even a day only a few weeks away would be unfair to all concerned. If one could be arranged for later in the summer that might be more acceptable but doesn't help the situation outlined in the email by Geoff C. I hope that this does get off the ground as progress at the Anson can only be of long term benefit to all of us in the hobby.

Regards,

John Macdonald Smith

Reply to
John Macdonald Smith

The curse of shift working rules me out as well on both days I'm afraid.

JohnR

Reply to
John Rogers