Another lister

Gentlemen. Me and my brother Steve collected another ebay purchase monday, its a 1929 lister A on its original trolley, we had a couple of hours playing with it in the evening, after we cleaned the points drained off the old fuel, we found we had no compression, but me not being to keen about taking the cylinder off, we attemted to start it. The first couple of swings there was nothing, then a little grey smoke from the exhaust, every time we swung a little bit more compression was felt, but it still wouldnt fire, so steve gave the plug a clean and we belted the tractor up to it, within about four turns the lister fired into life in a puff of black smoke, due to all the fuel in the cylinder, but after leaning off the mixture it soon settled down and run nicely, steve filled the hopper with water and we ran it until hot, it now has good compession and starts off the handle, we will be leaving this engine in its working clothes, and steves exibiting it this weekend at shrewsbury probably driving a hacksaw. Interestingly there was half a crankcase door in the hopper, with the brass plate attached, after cleaning up the end of the crankshaft, we found the number was the same as on the broken door, so it must have been replaced at some point, but luckly the owner had the forsight to keep the original plate with the engine. I've put a couple of pics on webshots in my engines

Gary M

Reply to
gary millward

Gary millward

-''we will be leaving this engine in its working clothes'' that is one nice engine you've got their gary... i'm planning on doing the same with my junior , not as original paint wise as yours , but still i dont feel an urge to paint it up .

presently im building a trolley for it , for a rally in july . Good luck with it .

John D

Reply to
jdungan100