armstrong sidderly

I'm looking for an Armstrong Sidderly AS3, if anyone sees one for sale.

I'm also interested on finding out the spares situation for these engines.

Reply to
Motor

Spares situation is not good. Someone had some pistons made (in Italy IIRC) about 15 years ago, probably all gone by now. I've not had much to do with Armstrongs for quite a few years, I've no idea whether anyone has had any more parts made since then.

Valves were becoming an issue towards the end of when we ran them, but they can always be adapted from something a bit bigger if the need is great enough.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Armstrong Siddeley AS1, 2 and 3 are fairly common, but the 3-cylinder engines were a bit rare as Tim has said, canal boats and the like being their main usage.

Spares were handled by Petters after they took that line of engines over, but I don't know if any parts were common with the current Petter diesels of the time.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

No common parts. Petters did sell a few Armstrongs 'badge engineered' as Petters. My reference to spares was for all AS engines, the 2-cylinder was the one usually fitted to canal boats though a few 1- and 3-cyl were fitted. We stopped running them about 20 years ago, support from Petters had dried up by that time.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Reflecting on that, a bit of doubt has crept in.

Petters *definitely* rebadged one of their engine ranges as Armstrong Siddeley. I had it in my mind that they did also produce the last of the AS range under the Petter name, but I'm less certain of that now.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

I have the ASJW book, published as A-S, book 8032/1, and the Petters PJW book

8028/1. They are effectively the same engine.

Also have the AS book which covers 1-3 cylinders, book 8013/2.