Auction prices 11 years on

I've just dug up the auction catalogue for the Killick collection (1992) and found that I had noted down the hammer prices of most of the engines. It was
infact here, and not at the Absalom sale, where I last noticed a Scott SE for sale. It fetched 130 (plus premium), but I expect I found the 200 I paid at Enstone easier to part with than I would 130 ten years ago.
Other prices; several smaller Amanco open cranks ranging from 260 to 500 with a Six Mule Team at 1050, lamp starts mostly 2-3000 with a 4hp Blackstone at 5200, Petter M's 250-350. All in all none of the prices would look that out of place today exept perhaps the Lister D with wood chopper at 420 - I still remember the collective sharp intake of breath when that one went down!
--
NHH

Nick --
"none of the prices would look that out of place today"
You confirm a feeling I had recently. Must confess I think it's great. Don't like speculators & investors spoiling a hobby.
Prices are high enough to ensure too much stuff isn't just junked, but common engines are still affordable. Any hobby costs money -- I remember what my father paid for his first carbon fibre salmon rods..... Rare engines were always expensive & will remain so -- true in any area that the rare & sought-after commands heavy premium.
What caught my eye was re-reading sales reports from a couple of Cheffins sales where roughish pairs of D-types were going from 30 up. Probably that audience were focussing at the top end, but there were plenty of no-sales for good engines, so buyer resistance was clear.
Still very envious of our friends in Oz! They get the rare at affordable prices, & can see the seriously rare Brits stuff of the 1890's & 1900's that is almost never now for sale here.
BTW, you mentioned Absolom. He was with me when a guy at Knowl Hill in the 80's offered me 4k+ in cash (& in his pocket) for an engine I was showing. I turned it down, as I like the engine -- & Absolom had one at the Mill, which he wouldn't sell either (as was his way with everything he had!) Have seen similar in SEM for 1000-1500 recently. Absolutely no regrets, as I still like the engine......
Colin