Auction prices 11 years on

I've just dug up the auction catalogue for the Killick collection (1992) and found that I had noted down the hammer prices of most of the engines. It was infact here, and not at the Absalom sale, where I last noticed a Scott SE for sale. It fetched £130 (plus premium), but I expect I found the £200 I paid at Enstone easier to part with than I would £130 ten years ago.

Other prices; several smaller Amanco open cranks ranging from £260 to £500 with a Six Mule Team at £1050, lamp starts mostly £2-3000 with a 4hp Blackstone at £5200, Petter M's £250-350. All in all none of the prices would look that out of place today exept perhaps the Lister D with wood chopper at £420 - I still remember the collective sharp intake of breath when that one went down!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Nick --

"none of the prices would look that out of place today"

You confirm a feeling I had recently. Must confess I think it's great. Don't like speculators & investors spoiling a hobby.

Prices are high enough to ensure too much stuff isn't just junked, but common engines are still affordable. Any hobby costs money -- I remember what my father paid for his first carbon fibre salmon rods..... Rare engines were always expensive & will remain so -- true in any area that the rare & sought-after commands heavy premium.

What caught my eye was re-reading sales reports from a couple of Cheffins sales where roughish pairs of D-types were going from £30 up. Probably that audience were focussing at the top end, but there were plenty of no-sales for good engines, so buyer resistance was clear.

Still very envious of our friends in Oz! They get the rare at affordable prices, & can see the seriously rare Brits stuff of the 1890's & 1900's that is almost never now for sale here.

BTW, you mentioned Absolom. He was with me when a guy at Knowl Hill in the 80's offered me £4k+ in cash (& in his pocket) for an engine I was showing. I turned it down, as I like the engine -- & Absolom had one at the Mill, which he wouldn't sell either (as was his way with everything he had!) Have seen similar in SEM for £1000-£1500 recently. Absolutely no regrets, as I still like the engine......

Colin

Reply to
Colin Osborne