Delapena Honing Set

One of the interesting items I picked up at Enstone was this Honing set. It is marked up Delapena precision Hone, Crankshaft and general purpose. Range 1 -2 1/2". Delapena no longer produce this set, though I have not yet phoned up to ask if they have any instructions. The seller said he had used it once for truing a crankshaft and that it had removed the ovality very nicely.

Has anyone here ever used such a thing?

Pics at

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

is marked up Delapena precision Hone,

this set, though I have not yet phoned up

truing a crankshaft and that it had

Regards, Arthur G

Hi Arthur, good job you are one of my Webshots contacts! Try

Dave Croft Warrington England

Reply to
Dave Croft

Thanks Dave, you always fix my links so quickly!

is marked up Delapena precision

this set, though I have not yet

for truing a crankshaft and that

> Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

Arthur,

What you have there is basically what I described to you but in metal not wood. Jaguar in the 80's used a wooden version for polishing journals on cranks etc.

By the different colours you appear to have different grades of stone there. I have not personally used one myself I used to install automated version in companies though and when you use it a copious amount of coolant is called for as you will glaze and ruin the stones very quickly, also move it from side to side to create cross hatching as this will retain oil aidind lubrication.

Martin P I can also assume that as it is hand held it will only polish as the stones will follow the existing shape i.e if oval it will follow oval.

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Thanks Martin, very helpful. There is a stone dresser in the kit, presumably to remove the glazing you describe. I still haven't had time to contact Delapena and ask if they have instructions.

What you say about it following the existing shape makes good sense - pity.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

An ad of the 50s states: " The "Delapena" Crankshaft Precision Hone has been designed and developed to remove ovality and taper from journals, fron 1" to 2-1/2". (25.4 m/m to 63.5 m/m) and at the same time to impart to the journals a super finish that is superior to that obtainable by other methods. Complete in case comprising: Hone, Stones (18 sets), Guides (6 Sets), Six Truing sticks are included loose. Price Complete: £24 13 4

Extra Truing sticks (state size) ....6/6 each Honing fluid must be used during all honing operations

Haven't seen a one of these, but I remember in my father's garage, an American crankpin truing device that turned the crankpin and had a lapping attachment for the final finish. My father considered it a relic, having last used one in the 30s.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tom, you're a mine of information, thank you.

Arthur G