Dorset Steam Fair

Gentlemen,

My pass for the Steam Fair arrived to day, so who else is exhibiting this year or am I on my own again.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

c> Gentlemen,

c> My pass for the Steam Fair arrived to day, so who else is exhibiting c> this year or am I on my own again.

c> Martin P

Boo hiss, three hours in traffic - never again!

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

Nick,

Get up a bit earlier then you will miss the traffic :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Not for me as an exhibitor, thank you, although I might whip down on the bike at the crack of sparrow phart to see if I can get a shot of Martin sleeping as seems to be the current sport ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

We are going for three days as spectators, I will look you up and treat you to a beer.

Reply to
Pete Aldous

Shouldn't the word Beer have an s after it :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Mick Mills always goes down for the week, says it makes it work for him, but with hosses and factory to look after, and accomodation being a bit sparse and expensive, we have never even given it a thought.

We could take the caravan down, but that brings its own set of logistics which for a fairly basic week in a field is not appealing.

When we can get an air conditioned double room with unlimited Wifi Internet access for $56.00 a night and a complimentary breakfast, what is being asked for in the vicinity of the GDSF would make Dick Turpin blush.... That $56 is in San Francisco within 2 miles of the airport.

Hire car £104 for 7 days, petrol at $3 a gallon, who wants to drive in the jams at Tarrant Hinton ? Rate today was $1.8282 to the £1.

A seven day Muni Passport for $24 each gets you 7 days unlimited travel in the SFO municipal area and includes the cable cars. Bearing in mind that a single trip on the cable cars is $5.00.

The Cable Car museum beckons, as do the regular visiting spots like the Hiller Aviation Museum and the two ships (ship + sub) on the waterfront.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Add to that the air fair and it gets a bit more expensive, especially when there's a family in tow.

John

Reply to
John

c> Nick,

c> Get up a bit earlier then you will miss the traffic :-))

c> Martin P

Get up early - are you mad?

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

I can do most of that with my caravan at Dorset, its called imagination :-)) Getting stuck in traffic is something I avoid, travelling down on the Tuesday for instance and watching the idiots struggle to leave on the Sunday whilst I take a leisurely ride home on the Monday, I take all of my food and drink, bought cheaply locally, with me. Its only hassle if you want it to be. I've ridden in a cable car and visited Aviation Museums, I just want a quiet week away with a mate having a laugh :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

What's your number Martin?

Reply to
John
2000 and something, its down stairs and I am about to go to bed :-))

I am about to rig something up that may interest you, I am going to fit a car alternator to the engine trolley on the blind side to charge a battery which will be connected to a 500 watt 12 vdc to 240 vac converter which will drive an axial fan fitted under my umbrella to give cool air or produce a laminar flow to keep out the rain. Good eh:-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

c> I can do most of that with my caravan at Dorset, its called c> imagination :-)) Getting stuck in traffic is something I avoid, c> travelling down on the Tuesday for instance and watching the idiots c> struggle to leave on the Sunday whilst I take a leisurely ride home on c> the Monday, I take all of my food and drink, bought cheaply locally, c> with me. Its only hassle if you want it to be. I've ridden in a cable c> car and visited Aviation Museums, I just want a quiet week away with a c> mate having a laugh :-))

c> Martin P

Wow, you rally bunnies! As mere member of the paying public, all I want to do is get there, see the sights and be home in time for tea ;-)

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

A nice idea in theory. In practice I'm not so sure. Do fans produce laminar flow? If the fan produces a flow pattern that keeps out the rain, it can't drag any air in from outside. If it doesn't do that, how does it introduce cool air? Just spotted the work axial after the fan. They are more likely to make laminar flow but only at low speeds. Electrically you are producing 12V from a highly inefficient car alternator then stepping that up to 240V by a converter of debatable efficiency. Expect to need over 5HP mechanical power. Now if you connect the exhaust to the hot side of an absorbtion caravan fridge, you can cool your beer as well. A small CHP plant in fact. I look forward to seeing the result in a few weeks.

John

Reply to
John

John,

It was meant as a joke, the engine will be my 9 hp Lister L, the fan is off one of our Laminar flow cabinets but the air passes through a Heppa filter to filter and create the laminar flow. The converter is an industrial type for small industrial tools, in scrounger mode, so will be more efficient than the sort of thing that you and I buy. Why do I have to connect to the exhaust of my fridge as firstly I will need 400yards of tube and secondly I will put the beer "in" the fridge :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

I was thinking of using the hot exhaust as a heat source instead of the gas flame on a caravan fridge. The fridge then gets cold as does the beer. I can then help you drink it. I rather assumed the fridge would be near to the engine. Again, more in jest than reality.

John

Reply to
John

Looks like you be be on your own Martin.

We will be there, going down Monday to Monday camping in the display area. We got our passes last week.

Your welcome to pop in on your travels round the site.

Andy M

Reply to
andyengine