ebay and its effect on collecting practices and rituals.

Who'd have thought you could get a grant to study ebay? but In 2004 the Economic and Social Research Council dished out £127,454.10 for a project called "Virtually Second-hand: Internet Auction Sites as Spaces of Knowledge Performance" which is now complete. I know this doesn't sound very promising, but part of the 'output' was an article in the BVWS journal which I certainly found rather interesting. It's available on the ESRC web site at

with more reports on the project page at
(don't be put off by the log in, just type in the user name and password provided). Though it is based on a study of vintage radio and stamp collectors, there are some fascinating insights into behaviors I'm sure we will all recognise in our own circle!

Reply to
Nick H