Engine ID

Some time ago, probably 3 or 4 years in fact, I looked at an engine with Ian Fisher who is located down towards Lostwithiel in Cornwall.

It is an air-cooled single cylinder but with a single mechanically operated valve in the head and an exhaust port in the cylinder wall.

It was part of a genny set made by Drayton Diesels, which became part of Auto Diesels of Uxbridge.

I cannae remember much more, but does anyone have any thoughts on a make ?

I think I have a picture from Ian somewhere, and the valve/port may be reversed in terms of inlet/exhaust.

We tried to contact Farymann as a possible make but had no success at the time. Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

How dat work den? I presume we're talking diesel here, so one valve could concievably do the job of both inlet and exhaust. But even with cylinder wall ports to blow down the bulk of the exhaust, there would still be a lung full to push out of the valve and I would have thought that unless this went direct to the outside world aircraft engine style some would get drawn back - an early attempt at EGR ;-) Or perhaps it's a uniflow two-stroke then I guess the ports could be inlet and a tuned exhaust stack would draw scavenge air through a la Petter Harmonic. Either way sounds interesting and unusual. Would 'Drayton' refer to West Drayton which is only just down the road from Auto Diesels in Uxbridge.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

A friend of mine has a Ransomes MG crawler, and guess what, it's fitted with a Drayton diesel! I can confirm that it is a uniflow design, but I don't think it uses a resonant exhaust, though it is NOISY when working hard. Sadly I don't have any pictures to show you, if I see it at a rally this year the situation will be remedied.

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
Philip THornton-Evison

Hoping for some pics from Roland. Would the scavenge rely just on inertial ramming rather than resonance then? Is this how the Petter harmonic worked? ISTR that was withdrawn because it infringed an existing patent.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

No I'm not, I'm hoping for some pics from Peter! Sad when the mind starts to go, and in one so young as well ;-)

Reply to
Nick Highfield