Freeing Piston Rings

Favourite methods for freeing piston rings?

These are stuck through water corrosion and not 'just' carbon.

We will be boiling the piston in oil this morning, but other methods are always good to hear about on a cold Sunday (snow-less) morning.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Bit iffy 20 miles south of you, everything has a heavy frost and its now raining with below zero temps so ice on the roads will be fun.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Actually, we did have some snow, it was dark when I posted and I didn't see it!

Went up to feed the nags at 07.30, hail was coming down as I got to the field, roads weren't at all bad, turned to rain as I headed back home.

Nags were glad of the early breakfast!

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Having stepped outside to check the family pile and estate I think our heavy frost was hail or snow, rain now washing away so will freeze in garage making somebody's washers :-)) Got a BSA Genset to collect this afternoon, 240vac, local to me.

Reply to
campingstoveman

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I've used a sonic cleaner with great success. MH

Reply to
Mike.H.

I usually just boil stuff in water as I just want it to heat something or soften it for removal. I find oil to messy and a fire hazard, especially in the kitchen and the smell stays for days :-))

Martin P

campingstoveman

Yes, but you're NOT supposed to burn it! :-))

We use transformer oil, get it until it just starts to smoke and then remove from heat and leave to cool off.

Noticed that bubbles were coming out from the ring gaps as the oil heated up, so hopefully the oil will be drawn back in behind the rings as it cools again.

The pistons are in excellent condition considering their age and what they've been through.

Drained the oil, expecting to see a lot of water, but nothing came out apart from a lot of fairly clean oil. Noticed a fair bit of sludge in the sump though, so that'll be the next bit to come off for cleaning out.

The other noticeable item was a ghastly bodge by someone: The AC fuel pump inlet had the pipe held in with Plastic padding, as either the thread had stripped of there wasn't a correct union available. I hate that sort of bodge!

Stripped the brushgear and end cover, looked pretty bad but cleaned up well, no noticeable wear on the comm or sliprings, but the brushes were damaged.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Got the stud out successfully and cleaned up the thread socket and flange. Also got the main centre stud out; this one sits in the cooling water, and the thread in the block is open both ends, so the rusted end gets jammed as you try and undo it. A new one in 303 stainless is on the cards.

The new gaskets from Thailand are pretty impressive for fit and finish, highly recommended.

Got the two seized valves out of their respective guides (drillings in the block) and cleaned them up. Will grind in tomorrow.

Quite a reasonable hour or so on entertainment!