Happens in threes.....

I was at a convention in Stoke for three days over the weekend, and decided to stay an extra day to play tourist.

I went along ot Middleton Top to see the winding engine on the Cromford and High Peak railway. Went there about 25 years ago and fancied a nostalgia trip. I got there early, and hiked a way down the incline and back before the centre opened. I got back to the top completely soaked (wow, this heat!!!!) and asked if they were opening the engine house.

Unfortunately it seems that it is closed until further notice. A problem with radon gas in the engine house. It will be shut until they can install a suitable ventilation system.

OK I thought.....not far to Poynton and the Anson. (remember, I am new to all this engine malarky). A 30 mile hot drive later and I arrive.

Closed. Seems they are only open Friday Saturday and Sunday. This was a major disapointment as I live so far away and won't be able to get there for a long time.

OK I think. I'll mosey on toward home and see what turns up. Just got through Stockport (a REALLY bad place to be in a traffic jam in all this heat) and I see a sign for Tatton Park. I think to myself "at least a nice old house would be good to see" so detour number three commences. After fighting my way through the roadworks I get to the gate and see that everything except the park is closed. No gardens, house or anything.

I turned around and decided to go home.

I can assure you that this was not a good day to be driving all around the country to visit closed attractions.

Makes you wonder what overseas visitors think when everything is shut in July even if it was Monday.

I should just have come home and got on with some restoration.

Reply to
Algernon

I know just how you feel - some years ago I knocked on the door of a closed Anson museum, then went on to Manchester science museum to find not a single IC exhibit running due to 'staff shortages', not sure if there was a third that time but I must admit that on holiday we seem to have an unhappy knack of visiting towns on early closing day :-( And before anyone else says it - Yes, I know a little research would avoid disappointment!

Reply to
Nick H

Oh, and visiting Dungeness power station last year only to find that it no longer has a visitor's centre was a bit of a downer. The Morgan factory this year was exactly the opposite - I couldn't find anything about tours on the website so went along expecting just to peer longingly through the gate but, enquiring at reception, I was handed a map of the works and told to wander round at my leisure!

Reply to
Nick H