Have we all lost interest in NG

Gentlemen,

If nothing else I have given our resident Stat man something to calculate with all these emails added and it gave you lot something to talk about as well so job done.

Martin P

p.s. By the way John I did make the bed and do a bit of house keeping, the wife is an invalid, remember. :-)) now you can feel guilty :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

I'm sure that's true, would it be fair to say that the newsgroup system is on its last legs and soon to die? The future is the forum, like it or not!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

But there's only about 4 contributers (and dwindleing) - your thoughts, though noble, are pretty much off target.

Nothing wrong with that, however that is another way to help the NG go down the pan - give up posting and e-mail the ''mate'' instead. I respectfully suggest that the wood is hidden by the trees...

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

There's over 10 contributors so far this month and it's only the 4th.

John

Reply to
John

And how many posts total?

Now go and take a look over on the Lister Engine Forum, then come back here and tell us of your findings.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

RIP Usenet?

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

Sums it up quite well, although I have never had the need to go into the alt.binary groups for anything.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

I found a fuller version of the same article:-

Since it seems to be the crap distributed on the binaries which causes trouble, both in terms of legality and the burden on server capacity, why don't the ISP's just drop the binary hierarchies?

Surely there must still be a place for a nice bandwidth efficient text only discussion medium, or is the future of the computing world predicated on ever increasing growth in speed and capacity just as the future of the financial world is predicated on ever increasing economic growth - oops!

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

Nick H wrote (snip):

No I didn't, I just missed the intro first time round - I'll go back to sleep! Anyway, the whole thing is worth reading.

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

Most have.

The problem is that people don't use the newsgroups half as much as they used to, and there is an administrative overhead to keep it all running: separate servers etc etc.

When I first got onto Usenet there were 25,000 groups, very few in the UK rec hierarchy and very restricted access.

Now there are over 120,000 and growing fast as the 'third world' gets onto the system.

I'd guess that most western ISP's will drop overall coverage and limit access to that country's groups, as the overseas ones are pretty much unreadable to most Europeans.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes