I need a 25mm steel ball

Gentlemen, A recent unfortunate incedent saw the trailer depart it's tow ball. It's not the best designed coupling I've ever seen. The problem is that the female coupling needs to be deeper. I should be able to do this in the press using a tube as the die but I need a 25mm diameter sphere (or part sphere) to mimic the tow ball. I can't use the tow ball itself as it's welded to it's mounting bracket and I doubt that would take the forces involved. Does anyone have such a thing or any idea what could be used? If all else fails, I could spend a happy (?) few hours on the lathe making something but turning spheres ain't easy. A ball bearing would be ideal but I've nothing that large.

John

BTW, it's a bike trailer like this

no serious forces are involved but as we sometimes use it for carrying Mk1 son, I would prefer it stayed on the bike.

Reply to
John

I know it's bad form to reply to one's own posts but I've found the answer. Mini suspension trumpet ball joints are 1" diameter. That's close enough for me and I've got a few spares.

John

Reply to
John

Buy a new coupling if your son's life is at stake!

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I would willingly do that but the trailer and coupling assembly are only a few months old. It could be argued that it isn't meant to carry children but he is well within the rated weight capability. It's still not nice to lose the trailer even if it's only the weekly groceries that get mangled.

John

Reply to
John

Then send it back under warranty or if it's within the rated capability it's obviously not up to the job so get your money back and buy something stronger or maybe use a pin and ring coupling.

Martin

Reply to
Oily