Kubota starting again!

There have been a couple of mentions in SEM recently about small Japanese diesels needing a dose of petrol for starting, so I thought I'd give it a go on the recalcitrant Kubota KND3. First I tried with nothing more than a few priming 'creaks' from the injector and sure enough got the usual lazy puffs of white smoke with no real inclination to fire, then I put a dose of petrol in the priming cup on the inlet pipe but, despite cranking for all I was worth, it still wouldn't start. Disappointed, I resorted again to a small puff of gypsy's breath and away she went - sounding fine and with a nice clean exhaust. I let it run until the hopper was steaming nicely when a stop and restart showed that once hot firing up was no problem.

While warm, I decided to replace the unknown and very black contents of the sump with some of Wilkinsons finest 20-50 (nice to know you can still get 'thick' multigrade and it's cheap too). This done, I twizzled it round for a while until the oil pressure tell-tale came up then opened the 'throttle' and dropped the valve lifter expecting nothing as the engine was by now barely warm to the touch - blow me the thing fired, taking me so much by surprise that I whacked myself on the knee cap with the starting handle. Once the pain had subsided I made a proper attempt to start it and after a couple of swings, away it went again.

As they say on the other side of the pond - go figure!

BTW for anyone who has managed to erase the Pink Pig from their memory (Lord knows I've tried), here is a reminder of its - well - PINKNESS:-

Nick H

Nick,

I think that we should all have at least one engine that glows in the dark for those dark walks back from the beer tent :-)) I think it actually suits the engine.

Mart> There have been a couple of mentions in SEM recently about small

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Reminds me of a song by The Psychedelec Furs ..... she is Pretty In Pink

Reply to
Barry Ruck

"Barry Ruck" wrote

Or (all together now):-

Wish I had a pink Kubota, Polished hopper and flywheel rim, Kubota owner - no one meaner, Wish that I could be like him.

(After Tom Robinson's grey Cortina song)

Sorry about that, I think the medication must be wearing off ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

Or you are not taking enough.:-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Just *how* thick and sticky was the old oil in the sump? Diesels are strange things, and the cranking speed is the key to starting success. If you are cranking just below the critical speed,you can wind all day, and it won't start. Increase the speed slightly, and away it will go. Perhaps the new oil, being thinner, allowed you to wind just that little bit faster ....enough for it to fire.

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

"philipte" wrote (snip)

If anything the new oil was perhaps a little thicker and definitely more 'oily' - perhaps it perked up the compression a little, though I wouldn't have thought just turning it over on the handle would get much fresh oil around the piston?

BTW. My knee has now gone purple - it'll clash terribly with the engine!

Reply to
Nick H