L'Aster again

I managed to spend a snatched couple of hours in the workshop this evening, there being absolutely sod all on the box, Hazel was report writing & in grunting mode & my brain hurts from script writing.

I spent a lot of time casting about me for suitable material to make a packing piece for the magneto but found nothing suitable. I'm pretty sure I've got some ali plate in the shed, but that needs daylight.

Close examination externally shows few signs of hard use. All the linkages on the throttle arm from the governor are quite tight & the valves don't rock in their guides. Peering into the water jacket is quite encouraging. There are a few rust flakes, but nothing horrid & the exhaust port puffs air into your face when you look closely into the port & watch the valve move.

I had a look at the cylinder holding down bolts. It's a blind cylinder & is retained with a base flange & three nuts on (approx) 5/8" studs. One is in the back of the valve chest & getting a spanner on that is going to be fun!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Took the carb apart & although it looks primitive, it is actually quite sound in principal. It has a float chamber main jet & throttle butterfly, but no needle to meter the supply. There are some foibles, of course, as one might expect on such a venerable lump. The air comes in through a straight gallery AND through a vertical passageway, controlled by a ring of holes over which sits a hefty copper washer. It's quite an ingenious way of supplying a limited amount of air for most work, but a variable supply that is increased automatically upon demand.

I bet it makes an interesting & characteristic noise.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn. Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Electronic engineers build radar, Civil Engineers build targets.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn