Mystery Engines

A source of much amusement last Winter was a similar thread, have a guess what this might be....

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Show me some more Dan, so far I've not got a clue!

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Looks like a red plastic box hiding behind a lump of metal.

John With no other idea about the lump of metal.

Reply to
John Manders

Don't think so with a side shaft (Gardner liked eccentrics and rods). I was thinking Hartop from the long, low-arched base?

Reply to
Nick Highfield

"John Manders" wrote

I'm suspicious about the artfully draped cloth ;o)) - why can't we see the rest of the crankcase?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

The colour might be a clue :-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

While we are still pondering over Dan's engine, here is another:-

has appeared in SEM but, while it resembles several known makes, I am yet to find one which fits the bill in all respects. Over to you!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

OK, I'll stick my neck out first - is it a Gardner?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

The photo was taken in one of my 'take pictures of everything' sessions so I (and my insurance company) have a record of what I've got. Will get some better pictures over the weekend - the flywheels are pretty distnctive and should give it away.

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

hello lads,

i reckon it is a 'baby' tangye. see SEM no.356 pg 10.

it looks very similar to the one pictured in the article.

regards , happy restoring, john dungan

Reply to
john dungan

I wish it was....I would give away limbs for a 1hp Tangye Hot-Tube if I could find one!

A few more pictures at

and
plus some pics of the Crossley PH1040 I fetched this morning.

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

No suggestions - polite or otherwise?

Reply to
Nick Highfield

No idea what yours is Nick...could be one of so many ambitious companies who made a few sets of castings and then disappeared into the 20's depression.

After a few correct off-line answers mine is a Hartop type S, 1.5hp (the biggest one they did I think).

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden