Possible Nigerian engine scam

This 'might' be a scam, especially bearing in mind the source is Nigerian, but it's the first time I've seen an engine involved, although it is a rare one and worth a few bob:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Attn: XXXXXXX. Thanks for your response. I will contact my client as soon as I receive your mail regards the payment. As regards shipping for the (XXXXXXXXXX) an arrangement will be made by my shipper in Ivory Coast, as regards the payment I will instruct my Client in America who is owning me some fund to forward payment by a certified check or money order to you on my behalf. And to let you know that my client can only issue one payment for all the expenses including shipping charges, I will like to know if we can trust you to send the rest of the amount (the excess fund) to my shipper in Abidjan Ivory Coast after deducting your cost, so as to enable him handle the shipment. If my terms are acceptable, you can provide me with your info, phone number and your full name and address so that I can instruct my client to forward payment to you as soon as possible. Thanks for your co-operation while anticipating your earliest response. Regards Mrs. XXXXXXXXXX ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The message came from a friend and well-known engine man in the USA.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

This is definitely a scam. Heard something on the news the other day and I do know that there is a web site somewhere. It involves counterfeit cashiers cheques and they ask the mug to forward the balance before the cheque clears (or the cheque bounces even though it is certified)

In message , Peter A Forbes writes

Reply to
George Hendry

|This 'might' be a scam, especially bearing in mind the source is Nigerian, but |it's the first time I've seen an engine involved, although it is a rare one and |worth a few bob: |

see

There is a lot to plough through. My quick visual scan of the sample letters can't find a match, but I may have missed it.

Reply to
use_replyto

Several museums including ourselves have recently been offered an early Deutz engine from Rumania for $35k.

A request for photos has so far gone unanswered.

Paul

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to
Paul Evans

It is indeed a scam, I've had several of these messages trying to buy an Aveling Barford roller I last owned 3 years ago. Details taken from a website where it was advertised and not taken off despite my repeated requests for same to be done.

Grrrr.

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Coulls