O/T cheap grinders

Screwfix have a sale on.

4.5" angle grinder @ £6.99

9" angle grinder @ £24.99

Plus other stuff as usual.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Feel the weight though. Some of those Lucky Golden Hedgehog 9" grinders are twice the weight of a real one.

Anyone know a decent and affordable 7" grinder ? I only ever use my

9" with 7" flap wheels (to reduce gyroscope effect), and wouldn't mind something lighter.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

I bought a new Draper angle grinder and electric drill for £17.00 each. The drill has been used for everything from driving 4" twin start Posis into green oak to wire brushing stationary engines. It's getting rather loose now, but is still going fine well over a year after purchase.

The angle grinder has led an equally hard life, being pushed through steel bolts in the hands of someone with the mechanical ability of a cricket bat, frequently stopping during use from sheer pressure. It too is still fine although it has smoked from time to time .................

I ordered three of the seven quid angle grinders. Seven quid, I ask you. I'll keep you posted ;o))

Regards,

Kim

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Gentlemen,

A tip for some if not all of you, I have had the same black and decker drill for most of my married life and what I do once a year is take it apart and carefully blow the dust and muck from around the windings, helps stop over heating and lets it breath. I then strip the gearbox and hammer end down to component parts clean and de-grease everything then reassemble and repack with fresh clean grease. The drill will out do me because of a little care and attention. I do the same to my other electric tools including the angel grinders of which I have two, one for grinding only the other for wire brushes and a linishing attachement I bought at Dorset several years ago. A little bit of care and attention will give you years of use and save you money :-)) Finally, in one of my previous jobs I installed equipment into a B & D factory up north, it was a machine for testing drills etc, how many hours do you think a drill would last if switched on and left to run until it fell apart! twenty five hours, not a lot you may think but if you think again that drill may only run on average no more than a few minutes several times a year so twenty five hours if broken down becomes 60 mins x 25 hrs =1500 mins , use the drill for 10 mins = 150 cycles, use the drill for 10 cycles a year gives you 15 years use of a drill.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I use cup brushes in them that cost more than that !

Mind you, show me one for say - twenty quid that includes a non-spanner quick nut, and I'll buy it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Down here, that type of grinder sell for NZ$14.99 or £5.25, tax included. With a 12 month warranty, they sell like hot cakes. The same outfit usually sells battery drills and orbital sanders for the same price..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tools to Go at Nottingham and Stoke on Trent usually have these in for £5.00 including VAT, so if you are VAT registered they cost you £4.20 odd.

Plus side of these are they have a soft rubber covering as opposed to hard plastic and are made in Holland, no Chiwanese rubbish. When I'm doing a largish job I set two up with identical wheels and swop over every 3 or 4 minutes to give them a rest. At this price you can afford to have one with each type of wheel on you use.

Last month they were doing 6" bench grinders, again Dutch with one 60 grit grey wheel and a 100 grit white wheel, both made in Germany for £8.00 inclusive.

I bought a couple to see what they were like and these are very smooth to run, no vibrations at all. Ideal for touching up cutting tools

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

I used to recon on buying the best tools that I could afford. Now I tend to buy 2 or more of the cheaper ones. My logic is that I am using them in a serious hoby role. That means that they don't get used that often but when they are used it's at weekends etc. Should I have a tool fail, and every tool eventually fails, I cannot just pop out for another.

John

Reply to
John Manders