more questions on angle grinders

One of the industrial supple shops in town here have a Dewalt dw831 on sale. A 5" 12 amp unit. My question is, it lists the spindle size at
5/8-11 but from what I understand alot of wheels/discs etc come with a pilot for a 7/8 arbor, what's a guy to do? Is getting a grinder with a 7/8 arbor important?
Thanks, Carson
Most angle grinders come with an adapter. So this shouldn't be a problem. Go and ask them. Lane

I'm not aware of any grinders that come with a 7/8" spindle. Nearly all of them have 5/8-11 spindles and a 7/8" flange machined into the nut or backing plate. All designed to use 7/8" wheels.
GTO(John)

On 26 Oct 2003 18:30:49 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca (Carson) wrote:

5/8-11 is the standard thread for angle grinders (in the US anyway).
Gary
Carson,
The difference between the arbor and the hole on the discs and/or speedecuts will be made up by the nut you will use to hold the discs on with. It will pass threw the hole in the grinding discs, and the "backing washer" you will use for the Spedecut blades will have shoulders on it to take up the difference.
Hope this helps, Jim C Roberts
Gary Coffman wrote:

Indeed, and that's important when you use threaded wire wheels. I was not too pleased when I got a cheapo angle grinder with some metric thread that didn't fit my wire wheels. I thought all (4 1/2") grinders would have the same spindle. Now I know to read the small print.
Bob

not too pleased when I got a cheapo angle grinder with some metric thread that didn't fit my wire wheels. I thought all (4 1/2") grinders would have the same spindle. Now I know to read the small print.<<
I bought a cheap angle grinder once and didn't realize it was actually a 4" instead of a 4 1/2" and would have a different spindle but several companies make an adapter. DeWalt had one, DW4900, but the Amazon/Tool Crib site says they're no longer made:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)67266099/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-tools/002-2427701-1125649?v=glance&s=hi&n"8013
I picked up one at the B&D store for $1 on clearance and used that for a while. Then I bought a 4 1/2" grinder for $5.99 the next time Homier's truckload tool sale came through the area. :-)
MSC has one from another company:
http://www.mscdirect.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id6&pcount&Product_Id13692&Keyword=Y
"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"
About 1 year ago could still get M10 adapter to US standard 5/8-11tpi. A M10 spindle is used on some Makita 4", 4.5" grinders. Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, sold the adapter.
Some made in china 4.5 grinders have can use 7/8" or 22MM disc hole diameter but have M14 spindle thread. See these specals at tool importers, big lots, autoparts stores. M14 size and pitch is real close to 5/8-11 inch thread. I can't tell differance by looking so must look in manual or try known 5/8-11 nut. This is only an issue if using cup wheel or disc with 5/8-11 nut built in.

You can get discs of either size, but I recommend you get the ones with the 5/8" arbor in them to start with. When you change the discs, you don't have to fool around with unnecessary tools to change them out.
-- "Pay peanuts.....expect monkeys."