(Slightly OT): Angle grinders.

I know this is not really "model" engineering, but I'm hoping someone can solve a recurring problem I have with 9" angle grinders:

The f***ing nut that holds the disk on keeps overtightening so I have to use an extender bar to unlock it. This usually ends up knacking the pins on the spanner, so I have to buy a replacement.

so: Can anybody recommend a (decent) supplier of pin spanner, or replacement nut that I can get a proper spanner on, or suggestions as to avoid the problem in the first place.

ta.

Reply to
bigegg

Use a blotter paper on the inside of the disc? If no blotter then disc is spinning and tightening the nut. Basically increase the friction between disc and the drive plate.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Also tighten the nut *firmly* before use. This reduces the chance of it slipping & self-tightening in use. In my experience this self- tightening is only ever a problem when using cutting discs and then getting them jammed in the cut.

Tim

Reply to
duttondock

I suppose you know that the nut goes on one way for grinding disc's and the other way reversed for cutting disks

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

I wonder if a dab of copper slip or moly grease on the threads would help stop it binding up? FWIW I have a Chop saw, 9", 7" and 4 grinderettes and never suffer the problem you describe.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

If all the other suggestions fail, try thse:-

I got a couple to replace waled out nuts on grinders that I inherited (dad didn't use a pin spanner). They seem to work.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

That looks like the sort of thing I'm looking for!

Reply to
bigegg

yep, that's usually how it happens!

Reply to