O/T fancy a big m/cycle?

This looks great until you realise just how big it actaully is.

John

Reply to
John

ISTR Kim once had something similar planned using a couple of Bristol Pegasus cylinders.

There are some pretty wierd and wonderful machines on that site - how about the radial engined beastie? It could only get scarier by being a rotary! Once saw a Morgan trike at Colerne which was in the process of having a Pobjoy radial grafted to the front - wonder if that ever got finished.

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

It is actually unnecessarily large.

I have two barrels off a Bristol Pegasus XVIII, the last of the poppet valve Peggys. In the 1980's I was working towards building a 90o vee twin with a swept volume of 4.25 litres using Curtis-Wright pistons which happen to be the same bore size. They have longer skirts & better oil control rings. Merlin conn rods would connect them to a fabricated crankshaft. I got as far as having a pattern made for the crankcases, got them cast & machined then ran out of steam. I have the parts yet.

My calculations showed that whilst it would not fit in any available motorcycle frame, it was not totally impractical. The front head would be where the headstock normally is & the rear head where the driver usually sits, but pannier tanks & some swept back bars - or hub centre steering - brought it into the range of the possible.

My tame engineer & I were determined that the primary drive would be an addition, not a reduction, the plan being to have the rear wheel turning faster than the (external) flywheel in top. ;o))

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Kim Siddorn

A pair of barrels off a Pratt& Whitney Wasp I suspect .........

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Kim Siddorn

it looks like a natural for a sidecar... sam

SAMMMM

Sidecars need really big bikes to drag them about. A bit like this one

John

Reply to
John