OT: About engines and travel

Gentlemen,

As most of you are aware Dan Howden and myself sometimes collect items for Internal Fire Museum that have been donated etc. The collection places can be sometimes found in out of the way places and it was for this reason that I finally succumbed and bought myself a Sat/Nav, that and the fact that Halfords had lowered their prices to below £100.00 :-))

I have had mine about a month and it has already vindicated the purchase on several occasions whether it has been for work or pleasure but I find it has a couple of annoying habits. This last Friday gone I made a delivery run to Internal Fire to take the Kelvin Dan and I recently recovered and some much needed belting that the museum needs for its exhibits, I decided to totally rely on the Sat\Nav for the whole journey once I had cleared the route I know very well. After a while it turned me off of the M50 and sent me along the A40 and after a period of time I realised that even though I knew I was on the A40 I did not actually know where I was which then brought the thought if the Sat\Nav went tilt I'm lost because all I had been doing is responding to instructions and had not looked at one road sign. I then found its Achilles heel, again under instruction and in a unknown part of Wales I was told to turn left, which I duly did, to find myself in a very narrow lane towing a trailer. The lane was that narrow the bushes occasionally brushed the sides of the van, there where no turning or passing places and thankfully nothing came the other way, I even found myself in the middle of a farm yard. The road turned out to be only about two miles long but I can now understand how Artic's get stuck in lanes. The Sat\Nav is a brilliant invention but I wont be discarding the paper navigation system I have in the van for a long time yet. There is one very big plus that I have found and that is the beautiful scenery you would not necessarily have driven through if you had relied on a map to navigate by.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Having ventured down few Welsh lanes maskerading as roads, I'm curious if you were able to find out why you were so directed. Can you query the manufacturer on incorrect directions?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

LOL!

Been there, done that a few times.

We had something similar back in October when we went to Basildon. You wouldn't have thought that there were many single-track lanes round there, but it took us down one...

There is the added bonus that it does take you routes that you didn't know about, and very often I have been able to get out of a big traffic problem and let the SatNav find its way back to the main route further down the road.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

If you have a TomTom you should set it to use the "Fastest" route. This means it will stay on motorways and A roads if possible. It you tell it to find the "Shortest" route it will almost always lead you up some narrow lanes to save a few yards.

Reply to
crn

Yes, that is right, I have mine set to 'Shortest' for most of the time, as I don't use it on motorway trips, just when we get to the squiggly bits at the end!

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

There is probably a setting in the set up menu like my garmin i3 where you can set the vehicle as a truck and avoid unmade tracks and U turns which might avoid some of the smaller roads.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Gentlemen,

My Sat\Nav is made by LG (Philips) but has same software as most, my choices are shortest or quickest and I do tend to use shortest, no lorry function though.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Having found my way about this Island and America with nothing more than printed paper and a wife who can read a map, I was loath to get a satnav. However, just before Christmas last year (06) I found Asda selling them for £98 & bought one. Most of the time, I look at MS Autoroute the evening before a trip & then know not only where I'm going but which way to go - if you understand me ;o)) .

Now, I know Birmingham about as well as I know Luna City on Farside, only going there to attend our AGM in SW Brummugum. I'd had the satnav about three weeks when there was an accident on the M5 & I was unexpectedly in the town three junctions early. I turned it on & it took me where I needed to go without me breaking a sweat. Good oh!

It occasionally has a Fit of the Mother, though. Getting away from Brooklands & back onto the M25 took it three goes & only finally succeeded when Hazel got the book out and corrected its "turn left" into a "bear left" !

It consistently tries to take me up through Gloucester when trolling westwards for Wales, but I eschew its blandishments and relentlessly carry on bridgewards. Only in mid stream does it suddenly realise that there is a bridge & correct itself.

Are more expensive devices less fun, I ask myself .........

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

This is where, for me, the satnav comes into its own - when you don't have a wife (or anyone else) who can read a map with you, especially when trying to find an address in an unfamiliar town where it's not easy to stop & look at the map. Also it doesn't get flustered if it gets you lost . I've been using Tomtom for a couple of years, big downsides are not keeping up with road improvements - you get some strange instructions if on a new bypass which isn't on their map - and staggered junctions where the instructions can be confusing or plain wrong, especially if you don't keep an eye on the display.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

I think that the units are programmed by women and why does it have to have a women's voice :-)) You can get map updates for your Tom Tom at a price though.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Mine had a female voice to start with but I changed it to a less irritating male voice with a middle England accent. Hazel asked "What happened to the lady?"

"She kept leading me astray" I replied.

regards,

Kim

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I cant change mine but I can shut her up :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

That must be good, shuting a woman up in mid stream :-))

Andy M

Reply to
andyengine

Depends.....

TomTom Mobile5 support was withdrawn last year without notice, so you can't get updates any more.

Their website is broken in places, and both email and phone calls have elicited no response, so not too impressed by them at all.

We did pick up an Oct 06 updated maps with a new unit on ebay for £30, but that is probably as late as it gets. Bedford bypass for example ends at the old A428 junction.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Mmmm. I went for the Australian man voice on the TomTom... Which makes it easier to shout back. Old fashioned, I can't shout back at bitching betty. TomTom pretty good, have had some weird issues including being sent to the wrong hotel...but I did have a major problem trying to find a hotel perched underneath a motorway... should have stuck to paper, but my compass is graduated in mils... :-)

Reply to
Derek Lord Of Misrule!

I bought a Road Angel about a year ago. It takes ages to boot up and can also take some rather quaint routes but it has always got me there and (big plus point) it warns me of the speed cameras!!!!!

Not that I ever exceed the speed limit you understand, probably only once or twice in a journey.

John

Reply to
John

No good enough!

You're expelled from the van driver's club! :-))

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Reply to
jagojules

Reply to
jagojules

Many years ago I used to compete on road rallies. My navigator used to call the bends from the OS map. It's amazing how accurate that can be. One day I did a treasure hunt immediately after an all night rally. My "new" passenger tried calling the bends. I instinctively obeyed him. After a couple of interesting moments when his slight bend turned out a lot tighter, I had to ask him to stop before we visited the hedge. I wasn't driving deliberately quickly but had become so used to accurate instructions that they were accepted with great confidence. Of course it can work the other way. My navigator got married and I offered my services as wedding car. His wife wanted the rally car so that's what we left the church in. Having got used to going exactly where my navigator told me without question, when we arrived (quite quickly) at the hotel and he called "maximum right", I instinctively took the litle road. Why he wanted to go round to the kitchens was not for me to know, that's where he was taken.

I treat my sat nav's instructions with a little more caution.

John

Reply to
John