OT - Aircraft ID

Can anyone take a stab at identifying the aircraft on:

I've had a frustrating time trying to find out what it is, the museum's website and paper layout sheets that we picked up don't seem to show it.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

Our plane spotting stores chappie Sid, says it looks like a much modified Lockheed Hudson!

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

The Hudson had twin fins

I can't determine from the OP's picture if this is the case - my guess is it has a single fin. Exhaust arrangement is different, but that wouldn't be a hard and fast thing throughout the production span.

It reminded me more of the Airspeed Oxford (which it isn't!)

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Gentlemen,

You would think that the guy who took the picture would look closer at the museum website,

, its a Douglas Bolo :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

"campingstoveman" wrote

Sid will be most upset he dropped a bolo ;-)

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

I looked at that a couple of times but it was so foreshortened in my own picture that I didn't make the connection!

Thanks, Martin!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Does foreshortened mean you need new glasses :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

No, just less jet-lag and 'flu.... :-((

Second trip we have caught something on the way out and it has surfaced as we were finishing the trip.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

You wont be seeing me this week then :-)) Don't want any bugs for weekend thank you :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

Like it says on the caption underneath, a B18

Stablemate to the B17 (two bids for the same contract, two engines limited the weight, range and eventual success) this was the standard US bomber at the start of WW2. Presumably Pima has one, I've seen one in Wright Patterson too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Mostly cleared now, had a Couple of USA-strength Sudafed last evening and went to bed early :-))

Got Page 13 running and Page 14 almost finished of the trip pictures.

Still have nearly all of the Henry Ford Museum pictures to do yet, from our trip in August.

Should pass 7000 pages on the website this week. Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

Peter See

Douglas B-18B Bolo

Serial Number: 38-0593 Registration: N66267 Markings: 25th Antisubmarine Wing, 4th Antisubmarine Squadron, Langley AAF, Virginia, July 1942

Designed in response to a 1934 U.S. Army Air Corps requirement for a replacement for the B-10, the B-18 was based on the Douglas DC-2 airliner using similar wings, tail and engines. The Bolo entered production in 1936 and by 1940 most of the bomber squadrons in the Air Corps were equipped with B-18s. When the United States entered World War II the B-18 was obsolete as a bomber and was in the process of being replaced by the B-17, however 122 were modified with a nose mounted radar replacing the bombardier and magnetic anomaly detectors for locating submarines installed in the tail and called B-18B. These aircraft served in the Caribbean and Atlantic hunting for German submarines through 1943. Most B-18s were retired to transport duties for the remainder of the war and were then sold as surplus in 1945 and 1946.

Douglas DC- Legacy: B-18, B-23, C-47, C-54D, DC-7, C-117D, VC-118, C-9B/DC-9 Dave Foreman

Reply to
David L. Foreman

Thanks, Dave, Martin P gave me the heads-up on the 27th Nov.