OT but I couldn't resist!

My father spent last week on the IOM for part of the TT centenary celebrations - here's a picture of him crossing the line on the old St John's course.

Nick H

Certainly looks like he was enjoying himself, what year is the Scott? mid

20s?

Oily

Reply to
Oily

O> Certainly looks like he was enjoying himself, what year is the Scott? O> mid O> 20s?

O> Oily

Doesn't he just? I've never seen a bigger smile on his face!

The Scott is a 1919 standard tourer which dad rebuilt from a several tea chests of parts some 30 years ago.

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

Nice one, I thought it was a bit younger than that. You wouldn't believe the fun factor of riding something like that, has he let you have a go yet?

Oily

Reply to
Oily

"Oily" wrote > Nice one, I thought it was a bit younger than that.

As I think I've mentioned on this list before, my only foray in to powered two-wheelers was a VeloSolex - suffice it to say that living in the Chiltern hills and at a time when most of my school friends has FS1E's and the like, we didn't really get on!

Reply to
Nick H

I once had the pleasure of 'road-testing' an ancient Coventry Eagle (1939 if memory serves) for British Bike Magazine.

197cc of Villiers two-stroke, with a three speed hand gearchange. High and hard rubber and an absolute max of 30mph. Plus all the extra little levers bristling on the 'bars. Definitely fun to ride but decidedly out of place in modern traffic. The brakes were so 'leisurely' that I could feel even the minimal braking effect of the two-stroke motor.

On the same day I 'tested' a fine example of Royal Enfield's little 250cc 'Cafe Racer', the 5 speed GT Continental. A real miniature 'Rocker's Plaything. A very different kettle of fish, and well up to dealing with modern traffic conditions once I got to grips with having the extra gear to play with.

A thoroughly enjoyable day, even without the bonus of being paid for the resultant article ;-)

Gyppo

Reply to
J D Craggs

The 5 speed box was available earlier in a bike (super 5?) with a leading link front suspension which was a bit Non U. But the engine slotted straight in to a 350 Bullet frame. So I was probably on the road with a stylish 250 5 speed before the factory!

It soon attracted the attention of the constabulary as I had L plates up.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

"AJH" wrote (snip):-

Those front forks don't look too "Non U" here:-

and apparently they work very well too!

Reply to
Nick H

A mate of mine had one of those in our younger days, he bought it as a non runner, took me a while to sort it for him but I'm sure it did quite a bit more than 30mph. It was the one with the triangulated angle iron frame and pressed steel girder forks, I wasn't impressed.

A friend of mine is looking for one of those to relive his youth, a bit modern for me though.

Martin

A real

Reply to
Oily

Nice bike. And many thanks for the above link. I've just lost about an hour browsing around ;-)

Leading link forks have a lot in their favour, but they still look wierd.

Gyppo

Reply to
J D Craggs

I could have probably coaxed a bit more from it had it not been someone else's pride and joy. The hard square section tyres felt a bit 'squirmy'. To me it was definitely a bike for 'gentle pottering on a pleasant Summer evening'. Whereas the little Enfield did rather unleash the 'inner hooligan' and coped easily with everything I asked it to do on some twisty back roads near Plymouth ;-)

I shall have to try and dig out the old magazine now the nostalgia train is running.

Gyppo

Reply to
J D Craggs

(snip)

JD> Nice bike. And many thanks for the above link. I've just lost about an JD> hour browsing around ;-)

Yes, good isn't it - when AJH mentioned the super 5 I had vague recollections of a rather dumpy bit of grey porridge and was quite surprised when google turned up this racer project.

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

(snip)

JD> Definitely JD> fun to ride but decidedly out of place in modern traffic. The brakes JD> were so 'leisurely' that I could feel even the minimal braking effect JD> of the two- stroke motor.

One of the reasons dad enjoyed the TT run so much was the closed roads. The Scott is quite sprightly for it?s age, but, with a bicycle type stirrup brake up front and a sort of mutton chop shaped bit of rubber acting on the inside of the rear sprocket, retardation is not a strong point!

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

Nick,

Did you watch ITV4 this evening, they showed the event your Father took part in as part of a one hour TT program and for the rest of the week in the evenings it is all about the days events at the TT.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

c> Nick,

c> Did you watch ITV4 this evening, they showed the event your Father took c> part in as part of a one hour TT program and for the rest of the week c> in the evenings it is all about the days events at the TT.

c> Martin P

Drat, no. Was it good?

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

Reply to
campingstoveman

"campingstoveman" wrote

Found it ;-)

I had to learn abot bit torrents first, but somehow it managed to download

550 megs in little chunks from a variety of sources and glue it all back together. Mind you I couldn't play the result until I'd done some more digging and downloaded something called an Xvid codec - now it plays but the picture is upside down!
Reply to
Nick H