OT - Cyrillic filter?

There are a lot of smart people on this group, so I have every hope of getting this one solved!

I get an ever increasing amount of junk mail in Cyrillic. Is there a way of setting the filter (Vista Home Premium, Windows Mail) to bounce anything not in Latin letters?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

We use Mailwasher Pro to look at email while still on the server, then we can delete or allow as required.

For user filtering in email and newsgroups we get good service out of Agent, which is also our email client.

Vista is too picky about what it will work with for me.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

this one solved!

setting the filter (Vista Home Premium, Windows Mail)

Given your background do you accept mail that comes in this way, Kim? See

Dave Croft

Bouncing is not a good idea, spam scum forge the from addresses. The ratware they use will forge real addresses, maybe even yours, if that ever happens you will get all the bounces as well as your usual quota of garbage. Once the spam starts setting filters is rather like playing "whack the mole" block one hole and the buggers come out of another. Creating a new email address for email you want, and a throw away one for news groups and the spew that you don't want is perhaps the best solution.

For a throw-away address you could use hotmail, googlemail or if you wish I would be happy to provide you (free of charge) with kim(at)nospammershere.co.uk redirected to your real email address, if and when any of those options become infested you either create a new account or request a new redirected address from me.

I see that you have your surname registered as a domain name, the people you have it registered with should be able to provide you with an email account which would allow you the best solution of all and to have total control. For instance you could use kim(at)siddorn.co.uk for corresponding with people you trust not to abuse it. When dealing with on-line sellers you trust you could use anything in front of your domain name, with people you do not trust using their name in front of your domain name such as "scammer(at)siddorn.co.uk" allows you to find out if they have exploited your address by selling it on.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Have you tried using SpamPal (free to private users, download from

works by detecting mail originating from known bad servers that forward spam. I used to pick up the email for a local charity that because of careless use of email was receiving 2000+ items of mail a day, of which all but about 5 were spam! SpamPal filtered out 95% of the cr*p, before fine-tuning. Regards, Richard Green Saturday 21/03/2009, 09:09

Reply to
Richard Green

I don't know much about Vista....I assume it has a "Windows Explorer" or equivalent...in XP I can go to the folder for whatever application and find the actual application in the list....right click it and click Properties...click the compatibility tab......the tick the box marked "Turn off advanced text services for this program". ou should delve around and see if you can do something similar in Vista. Failing that try the newsgroup 24hoursupport.helpdesk....or look on the web....for example...the elder geek.com

Reply to
Mike the Brewer

Kim,

Have you tried one of those old petrol filters you get with your engines, they usually filter the crap out :-))

Martin P as the saying goes " I'll get my coat"

Reply to
campingstoveman