OT: DVLA

Gentlemen,

The DVLA announced yesterday that they are going to issue drivers who have driving offences some form of badge that can be affixed to the car. Initial thoughts are a white flag with a red cross fitted to a window of the vehicle, further offenders will be required to carry more than one flag.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Whatever will they think of next? and who is going to take the slightest bit of notice?

Sounds like jobs for the boys rather than anything useful that will affect accident figures.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

So someone who has been caught by one of those hidden speed cameras just after a 50 sign will be labelled the same as someone who killed while drunk driving?, this country just gets better by the minute.

Totally off topic but here's a good one, the local council recently closed the toilets in my village so people have been seen going around the back in an emergency, they've been warned that if caught they will be put on the sex offenders list!. Follow that lunacy through and most farmers will be on it soon, unless they're supposed to fit a portaloo to the back of their tractors 8-).

Greg

Reply to
Greg

I thought a British law stated that "It is legal for a male to urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle."

Reply to
Dave Croft

All hackney cabs (Black taxi's) are currently law breakers as a 19th century law states all hackney cabs carry hay and water!

Andy M

Reply to
andyengine

whoooooooooosh!

I knew you lot were boring farts but this takes the buscuit....

I shan't bother explaining the joke, take a look out your windows and you'll see the answer.

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

Yep, here is the press release:

DEPT OF TRANSPORT INITIATIVE HAS BEEN RE-LAUNCHED, MAY 2006.

Information Release.

Due to the nature of the quality of driving in England the Department of Transport has now devised a new scheme in order to identify poor drivers and give good drivers the opportunity to recognise them whilst driving.

For this reason as from the middle of May 2006 those drivers who are found to be driving badly which includes:

- overtaking in dangerous places - hovering within one inch of the car in front - stopping sharply - speeding in residential areas - pulling out without indication - performing U turns inappropriately in busy high streets - under taking on motorways - taking up more than one lane in multi lane roads

These drivers will be issued with flags, white with a red cross, signifying their inability to drive properly. These flags must be clipped to a door of the car and be visible to all other drivers and pedestrians.

Those drivers who have shown particularly poor driving skills will have to display a flag on each side of the car to indicate their greater lack of skill and general lower intelligence mindset to the general public.

Please circulate this to as many other motorists as you can so that drivers and pedestrians will be aware of the meaning of these flags.

Department of Transport.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Gentlemen,

I forgot to put a smiley at the end of my posting :-)) Have you not noticed loads of white flags with crosses or do you all drive with blinkers on :-))

Martin P

I cast my net and wait.

Reply to
campingstoveman

On Sat, 27 May 2006 13:59:37 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

I've just seen a car with FOUR on - must be a TERRIBLE driver! (wink)

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Doesn't it say something about the state of this government that we all thought it quite plausible that they would do it?, my story was however quite true as the warning has come from the wonderful boys in blue that anyone caught pissing in public, even if concealed, is likely to be put on the sex offenders list. At the other extreme they have also stated that they are not prepared to investigate minor burglary or petty theft at all in this area so these have effectively been legalised!.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

They've been doing this for ages.....I see lots of cars driving around with white flags with a red cross sticking up from their rear windows. I thought they were just english football hooligans, and that explained why they all seem to drive badly.

:)

Al

Reply to
alspam1

Does this supplement the Bad Driving Permit that says "Baby on Board"? My straw poll shows that the majority are displayed by women drivers.

John

Reply to
John

That's another annoyance, why do I need to know that there is a child in the car in front. If they brake suddenly or make an un called for manoeuvre am I supposed to swerve to avoid them and hit another car. That sign just tells me that they cant be driving properly because they are distracted with the child.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

I must admit that a child in the car can be a distraction but these signs are so small you have to be too close for safety before you can read them. I saw one woman on TV say hers was so that if there was an accident, the emergency services would know there was a child in the car. That has certain merit but as they're never removed, no one takes any notice. I've often wondered if I saw a car locked in the sun in a car park with one of these stickers, should I break in to rescue the child?

Reply to
John

On 27 May 2006 13:35:35 -0700, "John" finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

I'm still trying to find one that says "Grumpy Old Git on board".................

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

I want a flag that reads "I hate all ball sports with exception of cricket" Grumpy old git mode : How can you have a "national football team" which contains professionally paid players? discuss.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Searched for a long time for one of those, but never found one. Just got a divorce instead :)

Al

Reply to
alspam1

Referring on this occasion to football only :-))

Mart>>

Reply to
campingstoveman

In message , campingstoveman writes

The original purpose of those "Baby on Board" signs was to aid rescue services attending the scenes of accidents - not to let other drivers know..

The scheme was "invented" by a Norwegian firefighter who had attended incidents where a child had been lost in the wreckage of a vehicle following an RTC. If all other occupants are unconscious or dead, a small child could be overlooked in the mess had they, for instance, slid down under seating or been thrown from the vehicle.

The idea was that the sign should only be displayed when there was actually a child in the car. Of course, that bit is never explained to those that display 'em...

Displaying the sign at all times may result in precious time being wasted looking for a child that isn't there.

Regards,

Reply to
Pat Martindale

PM> The original purpose of those "Baby on Board" signs was to aid rescue PM> services attending the scenes of accidents - not to let other drivers PM> know..

PM> The scheme was "invented" by a Norwegian firefighter who had attended PM> incidents where a child had been lost in the wreckage of a vehicle PM> following an RTC. If all other occupants are unconscious or dead, a PM> small child could be overlooked in the mess had they, for instance, PM> slid down under seating or been thrown from the vehicle.

PM> The idea was that the sign should only be displayed when there was PM> actually a child in the car. Of course, that bit is never explained to PM> those that display 'em...

PM> Displaying the sign at all times may result in precious time being PM> wasted looking for a child that isn't there.

And "Show cats in transit" etc?

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh