OT - humour, sales abroad

Just thought that I'd share these....

Several years ago, a US government computer was set up to translate Russian documents. It was not an unqualified success and the phrase "out of sight, out of mind" was translated as "Invisible idiot".

The advertising world fares little better. A phonetic translation of Coca-Cola was launched in China without proper advice, so the giant corporation found out the hard way that 'ke-kou-ke-la' means 'bite the wax tadpole' or 'female horse stuffed with wax' depending on dialect. Campaigns need to be thought out in advance too as 'Coke adds life!' was found to mean 'Coke brings your ancestors back from the dead!'

A poultry company tried their luck in Spain with the slogan 'it takes a strong man to make a tender chicken'. The Spanish translation was ' it takes an aroused man to make a chicken affectionate' which may or may not be exactly what they had in mind.

Vauxhall had similar problems with the Nova in Spanish-speaking countries as 'no va' means 'won't go'. A Ford Pinto launch in Brazil was blighted by the widespread vernacular use of pinto meaning 'tiny penis' and the American sports car the 'Probe' has unfortunate medical overtones in the UK! Even Rolls-Royce are not exempt and the immediate post-war 'Silver Mist' was hastily renamed 'Silver Wraith' to avoid excretory overtones.

Clairol launched the 'Mist Stick' in Germany only to find it meant 'Manure Stick'. Not exactly what you'd want to apply to your head .....

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a free frontal lobotomy!

Reply to
J K Siddorn

So where did the "Starion" come from? My favourite of this type was the pictorial ad for a well known brand of "washes whiter" that showed, from L to R dirty clothes going in and clean clothes coming out. It was not a success in Arab countries :-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

From a Mitsubushi executive who couldn't pronounce "Stallion" properly

- was supposed to be the companion model to the Pony.

Brian L Dominic

NB Rumpus

Web Sites: NB Rumpus:

Friends of the Cromford Canal:
Mid-Derbyshire Light Railway:

Brian Dominic me

which no doubt means that the Frontera came from a dyslexic descendant of Davy Crockett?? ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

"Roland Craven" wrote

which no doubt means that the Frontera came from a dyslexic descendant of

No, the Frontera was named by Janet Street-Porter 'o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

See area around Cadiz in Spain, Jerez de la Frontera.

Zafira comes from Zafra, home of Diter engines.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Sintra is near Lisbon in Portugal

Peter A Forbes

Peter,

Your on a roll now :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

No, I am setting up a new machine and the network is playing hard to get :-((

Gives me a bit of relaxation in between throwing the router across the room....

We saw a lot of names/places on our various trips to Espana which immediately hit a chord through an advert or something like that.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

How does a wood working tool solve a networking problem?

;-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Probably because it's heavier than the electronic variety and does more damage?:-))

For the benefit of anyone else looking to get networked: we wanted to split up the functions of one PC on to three, and the network gave us the connectivity to shunt files around between the systems. If we lost a machine, at least it wouldn't take down all of the work with it, although we do a weeklt CD backup.

That part wasn't too bad, we now have Internet/Website.CAD machines running on the network, and Philip's PC as well.

Then we wanted to take the modem out of the main PC and put it onto the router, so that all the PC's could use it. The router has a serial socket for just that purpose, and we have an external USR 56K modem......

Problem is, the modem and router tend to assume that you are in the 'states where you are connected full time, and I had to get out of the habit of connecting to the ISP first and then going online with a programme, to asking for something on a programme which then turned the modem on and it dialled out.

Turning off the modem is another gotcha, but you can do it.

BT ADSL is £28 a month, we have found some cheaper services but I think that we will go for them to start off with. Problem there is that their modem is USB not Ethernet so won't connect to the router.

Their modem is free (until 22nd December - special offer with ADSL line connection) but they don't seem to have an Ethernet output modem available, so we will have to buy one.

Just putting the modem outside onto the router has improved the reliability of the connection on a dial-up basis, so the internal modem may not have been that good in the first place...

I'm waiting for BT to come back and confirm the switch-over day, after which we should be set.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Peter, I get my BT kit on the 22nd Jan and its only costing me £27.00.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Chaps If you must bottom feed might we have some snipping, pretty please. Ta muchly Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Because he wants to use the internet as well as his own network. You may be thinking of the combined router/ ADSL modems which are available.

Reply to
Niall

the other day, a 19 kg rainbow was caught down here, I think you would have taken the fly quicker! :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Do BT not do a "wires only" service where you supply the modem, microfilter(s) etc? I'm with Pipex on this basis, using an SMC Barricade modem/ router which just plugs straight into my existing network switch. (It has a 4 port router built in if you don't already have one.)

Broadband is the internet as it was meant to be; the experience is quite different, mainly due to the "always on" rather than sheer speed, although that's nice too, but the files just get bigger:-)

Reply to
Niall

Curious, if you've got a router, why do you need an ADSL modem?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Not the nomenclature used down here, my machines are networked via an adsl ethernet router.. Seems retrograde to use two pieces of hardware when one would suffice. In fact the preference is to use a router over a modem even in a standalone PC scenario.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Have not got a clue about snipping but I have deleted all of the other stuff. Is that better :-))

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Modem Router for ADSL Router for Cable

Reply to