OT Series Land Rovers

It's a long time since I drove a Series Land Rover - can somebody remind me which way around the red and yellow gear knobs are? I know one's the diff lock and one's low ratio, but I can't for the life of me remember which is which!

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

The one that you push down is the lock and the one that goes forwards and backwards is high/low. I think the yellow one is the high/low and red one is the lockup between front and rear axles, there is no diff or diff lock lock on early ones IIRC.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

The yellow one is pushed down to give you four wheel drive in high range.The red one is forward for high and back for low.I think but not

100% sure that low range automatically goes into four wheel drive.To get out of four wheel drive in high range pull the red lever back and the yellow one should pop up then push the red one forward again.It`s a twenty years since I had an S111 but i`m sure that`s how it worked. Mark.
Reply to
mark

Series Land rover's don't have diff locks, the red lever is high ratio on the transfer box when forward, neutral in the middle and low ratio backwards. Low ratio also engages the drive to he front wheels. Pressing the yellow knob down in high ratio engages the front wheels, you have to go into low ratio and then back to high to get it to pop up and disengage. You can go from low to high ratio when moving but NOT high to low. Some have freewheeling hibs fitted and you must have them engaged before you you can get drive to the front wheels. This is how my 1972 Series 3 works and I believe all series 3's are the same, not sure about series 2's though. Greg

Reply to
Greg

The yellow one connects the front drive when depressed, it stays down, in high ratio. The red one selects high then neutral then low, in low it simultaneously engages the front drive and releases the yellow knob to fly up. Be careful if free wheel hubs are fitted as you can no longer use the yellow knob on the move nor risk a hard pull if the red lever is in low ratio.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Series II and IIA work the same as the III.

A word of warning, there is no differential in the transfer box (so the diffs at both ends will be turning at the same speed when in 4x4), so don't use it for prolonged periods on the road. Post Series III (which I think are permanent 4x4) this doesn't apply.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Some (if not all) of the later models could lock the centre diff so the rule about road use with the diff locked still applies.

John

Reply to
John

On 10 Apr 2007 01:27:24 -0700, "John" finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

They certainly could - the old tip about leaving at least one side's wheels on the grass verge if running on tarmac in "fully locked" mode still applied..............

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Up until '89 for Rangies. Can't remember for Discos. After that they switched to a viscous centre diff that's effectively self-locking and gradual in doing so. The transfer gears also switched to a chain drive, so as to be quieter for the Yank luxury market. And thus was the Rangie doomed....

Reply to
Andy Dingley