OT - Windows Vista enquiry

Anyone have experience with Windows Vista? I have a licensed copy, but I hear there are a lot of difficulties getting drivers for older (ie, more
than a year old) peripherals. I am loathe to commit my PC with its up to date XP only to be plagued with difficulties.
Regards,
J. Kim Siddorn,
--

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Main problem is that it needs a lot more grunt to run, so unless you have a really quick processor like a P4 2ghz or more, big hard drive and 1gb of Ram, don't bother.
Even WITH all that, it is still slow, and IMO you'd be better off with XP or even better, Win2KPro.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk
avoid it like the plague. i bought a nice new laptop with vista premium and it sits idle while i use the old one with XP home in it. there's no comparison in speed, etc. i may come across a legit copy of XP and put it into the new one for a trial. vista is just barely usable. good luck, sammmm

KS> Anyone have experience with Windows Vista? I have a licensed copy, but KS> I hear there are a lot of difficulties getting drivers for older (ie, KS> more than a year old) peripherals. I am loathe to commit my PC with KS> its up to date XP only to be plagued with difficulties.
KS> Regards,
KS> J. Kim Siddorn,
My Parents are still waiting for the promised vista driver for their two year old Xerox scanner.
nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8
What a chorus! I asked my Vikings too - many of whom are computer based in their real world - and without exception, not one person out of 30 or so replies here and there has had a good word to say about it. My favourite reply ended with "... and most of the so called advantages are just frivolous fripperies."
Frivolous fripperies - are you listening Bill?
Thanks to all that replied - I have Office 2007 too - good or bad do you think?
Regards,
J. Kim Siddorn, Regia Anglorum
This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and the information in this message and/or attachments may contain protected health, legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not further disseminate, distribute, disclose, copy or forward this message or any of the content herein. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may or may not indicate the established policy of Regia Anglorum. It is the society's principal to rely solely upon hard copy communications in dealing with contractual matters.
This computer is protected with daily updated anti-viral software, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure their incoming mail is virus-free.

We use Office 2000 and there's nothing really 'new' in any of the upgrades after that. Once you have Word and Excel, the other bits are just puff.
Windows Vista and Office 2007 were two of
"The 15 Biggest Tech Disappointments of 2007"
listed by PCWorld magazine.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,140583/article.html
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk

Software developer's mantra - 'If it ain't broke it hasn't got enough features yet' ;-)
Nick H

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice - nothing works and we don't know why... :-)
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 06:35:45 -0800 (PST), "Derek Lord Of Misrule!"

I like that! :-))