Petters PU8 Genny

What do you know about air bleed holes in those 'hockey stick' inlet pipes?

A guy in Another Place says that there are holes on both sides to allow excess petrol to drain out if they were flooded on startup.

Seems a bit weird to me, but might explain some of the strange attributes that these engines seem to have.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Peter,

As far as I can remember the manifolds had small holes at the base of the tubes just before they attached to the heads. Also they arte strictly petrol engines, I think you have two tanks because they are thirsty lumps off load so two tanks extended the running time. I have an article from SE you can copy when I see you at the end of the week.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Thanks for confirming that, Martin. Let me have the SEM issue number, I can look it up in my own back numbers.

Kim's email is bouncing, in case anyone is trying to contact him.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

"Peter A Forbes" wrote

Not something I've seen on an SE before but I can think of a couple of car engines that had manifold drains - Hillman Imp with a little tube and (I think) the ubiquitous Ford Eight and Ten with grooves on the gasket face.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Austin and Bedford also used them at various times, but the volume of air was probably higher so not so much affect on the carburetion if they blocked up.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Interesting pics, Peter. I discover that the nicely trolley mounted, flat belt pulley equipped "1930's" 110 Volt dynamo with control box that I bought a while ago to load the Crossley 1075 is exactly the same as the one on your PU8, dials, fuses, knife switch 'n all. :o))

I too would be interested in the SEM issue number.

My box only had 22 mails in it this morning, & was cleared late Friday evening. Should be OK.

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Hi Kim:

Goes to show, the genny bit was probably more viable than the PU8.

April 1984 was the issue, Martin P kindly advised me, quite an interesting article, note that the picture of the engine with the compressor shows the earlier engine with the inlet pipes coming out of the crankcase.

I added two more pictures yesterday, one of the magneto and one of the carb, and what looks like a breather pipe to the crankcase.

The email bounced, no detailed reason, not a problem.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

I am trying to sell my PU8 if anyone is interested, Has not been started for about 4 years but was a good runner last time i tried it. Yours for =A350, Derby and Burton on Trent area. Email pswindell at googlemail.com if interested.

Thanks Paul.

Reply to
paul swindell

Hi Paul:

Do you know the serial number?

Is it just an engine on the floor or in a frame, whatever? Peter