Rallying

Nick H wrote: (snip)

Despite ringing the organiser to check that the show included SEs, there was not so much as a lawnmower engine screwed to a scaffold board in evidence!

Nick H

Reply to
NHH

Pitstone on Monday then :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

Gentlemen,

Well all my plans for the weekend have all gone out of the window, yesterday I cut the grass, went to the scrapman to get rid of a load more stainless but came away as it was only weighbridge work with a long queue and I had several metals in the van for sorting. Boots finally found my new glasses so that wasted 1.5hrs as I had to go into town to fetch them. I got the BSA Genny out and test ran that with my light board now fitted with 12 Volt lamp holders. Finally I had to fault find four white goods in our out house, wife calls it a utility room, because there was a blue flash a big bang and the smell of burning just prior to the power going off, the fridge has died in a big way even though the freezer part is still working. Its handy having the caravan outside your backdoor as that is likely to be used as nobody from the warranty can be called before Tuesday to come and look at it. Today I had decided to clear the garage to get in some Dexion shelving I have recently acquired but its absolutely persisting it down, hopefully it will rain today and not tomorrow when I go to Pitstone for the day. The rest of the week I am in Italy on training so will have a little break :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

Gentlemen,

Fridge is working perfectly, my wife saw the flash as a reflection in the front of the Tumble drier and Fridge when she sat on a stool which cut the cable attached to the caravan electrics. A metal stool I might add, my wife said something about being electrocuted and I muttered something about no sense no feeling :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Poor Lynne, she has such an understanding hubby..... :-))

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

====================================== So anyone running a vehicle on a tight budget is a d*****ad ? ,or did you leave out the smiley?. I limit my hobby spending to what I can afford and think reasonable at the time but it is still a hobby. We all wish we could say "sod the expense" but we have to cut our cloth accordingly. Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H.

Kim Siddorn formulated the question :

Damn, I just knew I should have used my season ticket to the Gunpowder Mills rather than go to Carrington!

Did you have a good time, and more important, will you be back ???

Reply to
Barry Ruck

Charles Hamilton formulated on Saturday :

Ok, so I spend six ours on the road ( round trip ), at a cost of £35.00 in fuel, to pay £15.00 to get my nephew into Carrington. By 11:00 it was raining hard, by noon it was belting down.

There were 10 SEs listed, of which a maximum of 6 showed up ( fortunately one was a nice Hornsby Akroyd ). The classic car owners were racing to leave ( understandably ), and the covers were going over everything else. And this was only 12:30 on Sunday.

OK, the weather on Monday was better, but was I going to risk the whole lot again ? Too damn right I wasn't - and I'm a punter. God knows what the exhibitors thought of it. ( Actually, I do, and I think there will be fewer next year ).

I certainly won't be going to Carrington next year. I'll buy my season ticket to the Gunpowder Mills, and spend late May Bank Holiday there.

Does this make me one of your 'Dickheads' ?

Reply to
Barry Ruck

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

Gunpowder Mills. Saxon fought Viking to good effect in the sunshine on Saturday and very nice it was too. On Sunday it rained overnight and in the morning but cleared up at lunchtime to leave a afternoon and evening of dry cloud. At midnight it rained, & was still doing it when we wrapped early at noon & made our respective ways home along various motorways mostly obscured by spray.

The Wessex Stationary Engine Club has a little crank up on Saturday at Bitton Station - I see rain is forecast which neither surprises me nor will it stop me going as home is ten miles away!

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I look now at the modified hot hatch brigade and hope they have as much fun as I did at their age. Look beyond what they have done and you will frequently see a labour of love. I may not agree with their style or the end result, but I applaud their effort.

Dickheads? No way.

John

Reply to
John

John,

Unfortunately I disagree with your comments, when you and I had fun with our cars it was generally done with the knowledge that after the local bobby has bent our ears it was then our fathers turn, both who we respected, today's youth cant spell respect let alone understand what it means. I agree you can see some nice hot hatches its just a shame that its owner does not have the knowledge, ability and skill to drive it and he certainly does not have the respect for anybody else on the road. The joke used to be "my mothers never had an accident but has seen plenty in her rear view mirror" that now applies to the youth of today.

I look now at the modified hot hatch brigade and hope they have as much fun as I did at their age. Look beyond what they have done and you will frequently see a labour of love. I may not agree with their style or the end result, but I applaud their effort.

Dickheads? No way.

John

Reply to
campingstoveman

I used to hear people say similar things about me when I was young. I will admit that I've always tried to restrict my driving fun to deserted roads but there've been the odd moment in carparks etc. We both started driving with little knowledge, ability and skill and learned largely by our mistakes. Fortunately that happened to me without anyone being hurt although my poor car got progresively shorter over the years. As for respect, that has to be earned as they say. I had respect for those coppers that were allowed to exercise their judgement. It's modern rules that have removed so much of that discretion. As for my father, he just shook his head sadly every time I went out on a rally and hoped there wasn't TOO much damage to repair afterwards. Encourage the young to do their own thing. Support them with advice and help them discover things for themselves as we did. Point out the dangers of stupidity, especially where others are concerned but don't just dismis them as dickheads. They will surely respond with a similar derogation and any respect is lost as is the oportunity to guide them. It's an easy pit to fall into, it's called the generation gap.

John

Reply to
John

John,

Whilst again I don't disagree with you thoughts about respect I still think you appear to have a blinkered view of life, my daughter is in her mid twenties, she does not swear, she respects her parent, her elders, she respects the law and she knows right from wrong. She is no angel and has her moments but based around others of her age she is a positive saint and so will your two lads because I know enough about you to see how they are brought up. A lot of parents today don't have a clue what little Johnny is doing when they cant see them and they don't care, because they don't care the state has to care hence the bloody stupid rules that are now brought out to curb the youngsters. I have no problem spending time showing the youth how to do things but what I wont do is be swore at and disrespected because I require a bit of discipline. My father died when he was seventy two, on that day had he said jump I would have still asked him how high because I respected him for who he was, you don't see that today.

[...]

Dito

Rob

Reply to
R A

I think we're probably saying much the same Martin but from different ends. I too don't like being sworn at and treated disrespectfully and neither do youngsters. We wouldn't like being called dickheads so lets not do it to another group just because they like things we don't. That should work both ways. Genuinely antisocial behaviour should never be tolerated regardless of the generation, but we must be careful with our definition of what is unacceptable.

The original comment that raised my hackles was about putting a few =A3=92s of petrol in a car and just driving it. I did just that in my teens and still do so. You know the car I drive, it has a high grin factor and I love driving it as it was meant to be driven! Other members of this group chose to put the same petrol in a stationary engine and watch it chug away. Each is as valid (or as daft) as the other but each gives the purchaser pleasure. Let=92s celebrate that.

John

Reply to
John

John,

Just to finish, you use the word drive and that's what you do because you know what your doing. Youngster today don't drive they just point and if you get in the way then tough is how they see it. I average at least 150 miles a day with my job. I don't get cut up by the likes of you, I don't get forced into an emergency stop because of your overtaking manoeuvre coming the other way, I don't get swore at by you for driving at road legal speeds. I do get it from youngsters in their all noise and no go cars. The difference is you know when to stop they don't, I wouldn't use Dickhead but in the absence of a polite word it will have to do.

Martin P

I think we're probably saying much the same Martin but from different ends. I too don't like being sworn at and treated disrespectfully and neither do youngsters. We wouldn't like being called dickheads so lets not do it to another group just because they like things we don't. That should work both ways. Genuinely antisocial behaviour should never be tolerated regardless of the generation, but we must be careful with our definition of what is unacceptable.

The original comment that raised my hackles was about putting a few £?s of petrol in a car and just driving it. I did just that in my teens and still do so. You know the car I drive, it has a high grin factor and I love driving it as it was meant to be driven! Other members of this group chose to put the same petrol in a stationary engine and watch it chug away. Each is as valid (or as daft) as the other but each gives the purchaser pleasure. Let?s celebrate that.

John

Reply to
campingstoveman

Hence the reason their insurance is £2000-3000 a year and mine is about £200-300. I don't rate myself as the world's best or safest driver so I shudder to think what the yuffs' standards and abilities must be to have ten times more claims on average!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian