One for the Listerphiles

Gentlemen

I found this rather nice period photo of a large lister petrol engine on the web a while back. The engine looks brand new and newly installed unless of course its in a museum somewhere ?

Regards Gary M

Reply to
gary millward

It says the THE EASTERN **** COMPANY on the bags at the back, nice picture Gary.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Gary.. Nice pic, Question, would you consider that to be a "show" finsih did the standard finish engines have that level of detail, also did you note that the fuel tank has two caps allthough the engine is clearly a petrol version, I might agree with you re. a museum piece.

Reagrds bob

PS the exhaust is in the pick up ready for the weekend. hows the S ?

Reply to
Bob

Bob,

I save a lister J at the weekend with an original tank which was petrol only, the tank had two fillers and was not partitioned and never had been, interesting .

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Hi Bob, The finish on this engine does look very nice, perhaps the factory finish was that good, although black and white photos can hide lots of sins. I would think the men in the factory who's job it was to paint the engines were pretty good at it, they were bound to be it's what they did every day. The engine probably dates from the late teens early twentys going by the carb and mag. Perhaps the finish was better on the early engines?? i've seen lister petrols on the rally field with twin fillers before and wondered, perhaps it was optional??

We'll be coming to tern valley on sunday lots of work to do saturday :-(( Hopefully have the S sorted for Onslow park i've made the tank stand over a couple of nights this week we should give it a proper run early next week.

Regards Gary M

Reply to
gary millward

Most other photos in the directory are postcards of the edwardian era. Seems odd to me that in a working environment with a mill there would be absolutely NO dust on the engine. Also odd that there is only one bag showing any sort of printing. The printing on the bag showing is possibly South (or North) Eastern (something, possibly railway) Company as the last letter of the first word on the top line is an H, and it appears the letter before it is a T and the first word on the second line ends in a Y.

The driven machinery look to me like some sort of coffee grinder, and the tea chest in the foreground would suggest that the establishment is supposedly some sort of beverage company.

Personally I think this is some sort of mock up. It may be a promotional or brochure photo.

The one thig that seems totally out of place to me is the oil can on the tea chest. It is far too small to serve any practical purpose in the scene depicted.

Al

Reply to
Algernon

Quote from the website: [A lister engine driving a Rapid Mill (Uttoxeter) Ironwork made by 'Henry Bamford and Son'. Sack says '[Sou]th Eastern [H]ay Company'. - Early 20th C. postcard] [* Joseph Bamford (1916-2001), the creator of the JCB excavator was a member of the Bamford family, whose Uttoxeter-based agricultural machinery manufacturing business was founded in 1871. In 1947 he broke away from the business and set up his own business J.C.Bamford]

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

FWIW, I suspect that this is a genuine installation and the Lister publicity man came along & took a photo as soon as it was set up.

Thus, all the technical stuff would be accurate if rather staged & the engine and its base would look unnaturally clean as the packing case & straw is only just out of shot!

Reply to
Kim Siddorn