DETLING STEAM TRANSPORT FAIR

hiya im know im porbabily the dumbest here, on this group especially seeing as i cant spell, like what u dose, but hey

This weekend being the 21st and 22nd (saturday and Sunday Only) there is a transport steam fair at the KENT County Showground Nr Maidstone, kent,

bout 5 minutes drive from the M20 or bout 10 minutes from the M2,

This is a great show loads of engines, autojumble,(usually real autojumbo not boot fair junk), People travel for miles to see this show just thought id let you know,

thanks, Martyn

Reply to
Martyn Butler

Thanks for that, I shall be going Sunday. I wonder who else will be going as Detling is on the way to Viking land!

Simon Taylor

Reply to
Simon Taylor

I was exhibiting, just got back but no-one from the group made themselves known, certainly no Vikings....

Reply to
Pete Aldous

Chris Bedo went and I went, although us two did not actually meet up.

Which engine did you have, and where about was it?

I was the tall thin (rake) guy in the horrible cammo shorts Sunday afternoon

Didn't that allen brothers engine sound nice, one of those exhaust noises like something sucking on a long tube.

I did not see the apple smasher this time. Pity, it consists of a Lister D driving a machine that pulps apples. these are then put into a press on the back. they sell the juice onsite but also sell a cider made from it. I lived a couple of years in Devon, but have never come across anything quite as strong as the cider made by the people that own the machine! Luckily it was at Wrotham (pron. route-am) a few weeks ago so I stocked up then!!! Half a pint is quite merry, but a full pint ruins my spelling.

all in all (odd expression, how could you get all into all and would it fit?) a very good day.

Simon Taylor

known, certainly no

Reply to
Simon Taylor

(Snip)

If anyone wants to see the cider making equipment you describe I have 3 shots that I took last year at Onslow Park. See

Dave Croft.

Reply to
Dave Croft

This weekend at the rally i was helping out on the cider press, the piece of equipment mentioned futher up driven by a 1938 Lister D. We all had great fun only problem was the wasps were everywhere like usual.

We are not going to Dorset this year as its to far to travel and we haven't got the time, all in all it was an excellent weekend, for some strange reason we had been moved this year to next to the baler and semi combine forgotten the word, (the pink Marshal), We hope to return to our normal location in the futher years,

I can also back up that the cider that is produced is outstanding and would happily knock any man off his feet after several pints.

thanks, Martyn

Reply to
Martyn Butler

I had a tank cooled 1.5hp Petter M driving an H1 pump (courtesy of Arthur G) giving Wallace & Grommet a shower. I was about 4 engines up from the guy doing some fascinating wood turning with a lathe driven from a Wolseley WD. I do remember an individual as you describe I think it was the shorts.......

The apple smasher was further up and on the other side this year, still smells nice (the apples as well as the Lister)

The Rally was every bit as good this year with around a hundred engines, 350 classics as well as a field full of Jags (very close to my heart as I have owned them for around 25 yrs) including the James Bond XKR as featured in the film, complete with machine gun. The list of other attractions was endless although I thought the auto jumble was a bit sparse compared with previous years.

I will do a report and pics hopefully in a couple of weeks in the usual place but we are off to Flood Ferry in Cambs. on Friday for hopefully a nice long relaxing weekend sitting behind the engine.

Reply to
Pete Aldous

Oh yes I remember, the Petter had just conked out! but you seemed to restart it easily enough.

do you live locally to Kent? I live near Sevenoaks.

Simon Taylor

G) giving Wallace &

fascinating wood turning with a

smells nice (the apples as

350 classics as well as a
25 yrs) including the

list of other attractions was

previous years.

place but we are off to

sitting behind the

Reply to
Simon Taylor

Simon, no, I am from Ipswich in Suffolk, it is the best part of 100mls from Detling but we consider it worth it.

Reply to
Pete Aldous

Kim went to Detling, but at August BH.

Not even a sniff of steam about then, just lots of history stuff!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn